SMS marketing statistics in 2023 are what we are talking about today.
What is the quickest way to reach your customers when you want to let them know about a new product, but you don’t have a big marketing budget?
Yes, you guessed it.
SMS, or short message service, is one of the best ways to send bulk messages to your audience.
66.92% of the world’s population uses mobile phones. Smartphones or not, it has one common inbuilt feature – and that is SMS!
This SMS marketing statistics guide for 2023 showcases the significant benefits accomplished by SMS in business.
Key SMS Marketing Statistics 2023
- The SMS marketing industry was valued at $3.5 billion in 2018.
- 16 million SMS are sent worldwide every minute.
- People are using the internet 54% more than before COVID.
- 67% like to book appointments via text.
- Almost 100% of people open an SMS.
- People Check Their Phones Once Every 5.5 Minutes.
- 10.63% CTR success rate recorded in 2020
- When compared to email marketing, SMS conversion rates are 6-8% higher.
- SMS has a 45% Marketing Text Response.
- Customers want to get after-sales support through SMS
Detailed SMS Marketing Statistics 2023
1. the Value of The US SMS Market was Recorded at 3.5 Billion in 2018
This research predicts that this will increase by 20% from 2019 to 2025.
2. Automated SMS Requires 60% Less Human Intervention.
The latest AI technologies make it easier to deliver bulk SMS, according to this figure.
Recent SMS marketing statistics have shown that it can be cheaper than other techniques requiring human intervention.
This means that it is one of the most effective marketing strategies available.
3. 16 Million SMS Are Sent per Minute Worldwide
The CTIA points out that 6 billion SMS are sent each day in the US alone according to this SMS marketing statistic.
4. The Covid-19 Pandemic Has Made 64% of People Spend More Time on The Phone.
The unexpected pandemic created a situation where people started to depend more on their phones sitting at home, indirectly boosting the SMS marketing industry.
5. Internet Recorded Increased Web Traffic from Mobile Users at 54%.
Earlier, Google promoted desktop-based indexing first and then mobile-based indexing.
But due to the sudden increase of mobile browsers, Google has reversed this, making mobile content get the top reach over the desktop version.
6. In 2020, 23% of People Had Shown Interest in Receiving Mobile Marketing Messages Compared to 2016.
This statistic indicates that business SMS profits were showing good rates in 2020. Around 48.7 million people have demonstrated their willingness to receive business SMS.
7. Text Messages Are Faster Compared to Other Modes of Chat Communications.
Almost 58% of people respond to a text message in less than 5 minutes according to this SMS marketing statistic.
Marketing calls are tedious and sometimes irritating for customers. They prefer to receive text messages and will respond if interested.
8. 67% of People Like to Book an Appointment or Order Something by Texting Rather than Calling.
It is easier to use the SMS option to get instant slot confirmation for purchasing products and services.
Customers can avoid slow-loading websites and confusing app interfaces by booking an appointment with a doctor through a simple SMS service.
9. People Check Their Phones Once Every 5.5 Minutes.
Based on a study conducted in the US, people check their mobile phones almost 262 times a day. According to a survey conducted in 2021, people spend nearly 3-4 hours using mobile phones.
10. Bill Payment Missing Is Reduced by 80%.
Since people often check their phones when they hear the SMS notification sound, they are less likely to miss bill payments.
Banks, insurance agencies other finance industries use SMS as a reminder method. Statistics show that this setup has resulted in a 60% reduction in customer service interaction.
11. 59% of People Prefer Inbuilt Text Message Service Rather than App-Based Message Service.
People sometimes don’t like to use multiple apps to send and receive text messages. Additionally, these mobile apps have to be installed and regularly updated.
However, inbuilt SMS services are more accessible and faster than the app-based text message service, according to this SMS marketing statistic.
Based on SMS marketing statistics, this proves that this built-in SMS feature removes any denial of access to those who might not have the software to run particular applications.
12. Almost 100% of People Open SMS on Their Phones.
Smartphones show an instant notification of a text message, and one click directly opens up the text message.
People have to open the application for an email or other apps and wait for it to load instead of direct access to SMS.
People who are preoccupied with other things might find this a waste of time. Only 20% of people check emails multiple times a day, while almost all of them check text messages.
13. People Like to Get Recent Updates and Offers from Their Favorite Brands
48% of people like getting text messages from brands to find out about offers and promotions.
14. 8 in 10 People Receive a Text Message from A Business.
In 2020, more than 80% of people received an SMS from a business they followed.
15. 10.63% CTR Success Rate Recorded in 2020
CTR (Click Through Rate) is a measure that can calculate the total number of times a customer views a particular marketing ad.
16. Almost 50% of The Customers Prefer to Spend Their Money on A Business that Regularly Sends Updates.
People think that those companies who regularly provide updates are more trustworthy. Due to this reason, people tend to buy products and services from such companies.
17. 90 Seconds Are Needed for Customers to Respond to Text Messages.
SMS marketing statistics indicated that customers react to text messages within 90 seconds compared to the 90 minutes for email responses.
18. The Default Texting Service Is Preferred by 63% of People
SMS is the default message service that is easy to use. You are just one click away from reading the message and responding compared to Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Twitter, and so forth.
19. In 2025, 18.2 Billion Smartphones Can Be Expected Compared to 14.02 Billion in 2020.
SMS marketing statistics show that more people use mobile phones to pay bills, book various services, purchase products, and so forth. This trend is going to double in the next 4-5 years.
20. When Compared to Email Marketing, SMS Conversion Rates Are 6-8 Percent Higher.
Customers can give permission for various businesses to send SMS notifications – which are usually sent via a bulk texting service.
This has proven that people generally trust SMS messages since they know the business provider earlier. At the same time, spam and unauthorized messages in Email make it untrustworthy.
21. Black Friday Made $10.8 Billion in Sales from SMS Follow-Ups in The US.
It proved that it achieved almost 2.5% of the Black Friday sales on its own.
22. Almost 3/4th of The Age Groups Prefer SMS to Contact Business Providers.
This depicted that more than 70% of people aged 45 or less like to communicate with business agencies using text messages.
23. The average Person Sends 13 Text Messages in A Day.
The average daily number of emails sent by a person (not for business purposes) is just 3-4.
24. 83% of People Used SMS to Communicate with Friends and Families During the Covid-19 Pandemic.
SMS marketing statistics in 2023 show that the younger generation prefers text messages over regular phone calls and other social media services.
In 2019, 76% of people used SMS daily. This number is only going to increase with time.
25. Customers Redeemed Coupons 10 Times Higher.
Coupon codes and discount offers provided by businesses through text messages are often redeemed compared to Email.
Customers find it difficult to check such promotional offers in email.
26. 75% of People Like to Get Promotional Offers From their Favorite Businesses, and They Want to Get Those Offers as Text Messages.
People always expect better offers on yearly sales, festivals, online e-commerce sites, and similar businesses.
But those offers promoted via emails and telephone marketing are often classified under spam. As a result, customers prefer SMS offers.
27. 45% of People Use Mobile Phones for All Kinds of Online Shopping.
When compared to a desktop or laptop, a smartphone is much cheaper. As a result, more people can afford the possibilities of online shopping.
As technology has advanced, online e-commerce sites have optimized their websites to attract mobile customers.
Meaningful SMS messages for promoting the offers, which contain direct click links to the e-commerce site, are also beneficial.
It is convenient for people to get the “track the order” details and bill details as text messages rather than emails.
28. 15% of the US Doesn’t Have an Internet Connection
This is hard to believe, but this is what the studies show.
29. Almost 97% of the US population uses a mobile phone.
Smartphone or not, these mobile phones all have a text messaging service as default.
30. 83% of Digital Marketing Agencies Confirm that Text Messages Are More Effective Than Email Marketing.
Since Emails are easily filtered, and anything that has a sales pitch gets sent to spam, it is a waste of time and money for investors to concentrate only on emails.
31. 33% of People Opted to Receive SMS from Business Services to Get Access to Better Offers.
Sometimes companies provide great discounts. Most of these offers are not reaching the target audience.
The primary reason is people don’t check emails or social media platforms regularly while at work or busy.
If the customer has subscribed to receiving SMS, it is easier for them to make the most of the best offers without missing out.
32. SMS has a 45% Marketing Text Response.
The Google clickthrough rate for ads is 34%. The text message response rate has surpassed this with 45% customer response.
This statistic means that a business with a good relationship with customers through SMS marketing is getting more answers.
33. A 34% Rise in Proactive Customers to Get a Product/service from A Business
A business has to reach out to the customer to sell a product or service most of the time.
However, last year’s stats show that loyal customers proactively reached back to the business agencies.
If the customer demands a product or service without any marketing, it is a good sign for the industry.
34. Customers Want to Get After-Sales Support Through SMS
The customer support panel of most businesses is complicated and time-consuming. Hence customers are looking for simple SMS-based customer service from the sellers.
SMS marketing statistics found that 54% of customers are frustrated about the sellers not reaching back to them.
If a seller is prompt in responding to the concerns and queries of the customer, chances for more business from the same customer are at high probability.
What Are the Advantages of SMS Marketing?
- It is affordable compared to other modes of digital marketing techniques.
- Email, CRM systems, and so on, can easily combine SMS with them.
- SMS triggers customers to check more details of your business offers, promotions, and discounts by 20-25% more effective than any other method.
- Customers open Only 20% of the Emails, but they check more than 80% of the SMS.
- E-commerce sites, BaaS(Business as a Service), and so on, use SMS to let customers track their orders and get regular customer feedback.
- It is easy to share the best offers through SMS. And almost 20% of the offer links are clicked, compared to the mere 2% clicks via Email.
How a Business can Benefit from SMS Marketing
Based on a study conducted by Delloite about SMS marketing statistics, 8% of the world’s population has visited a store and purchased products due to SMS marketing.
Let us check out some of the critical benefits of SMS Marketing.
- The sudden growth of the smartphone market has opened up new possibilities for SMS marketing. SMS is the fastest way to let the customers know about a new branch location or a new product/service arrival.
- SMS builds trust among customers. Businesses can earn loyal customers by regularly keeping in touch with them.
- Since almost all mobile phones support SMS, it offers a wide range of audiences.
- SMS can keep the customers informed about the progress of the order they placed on an online platform.
- SMS can work as a stand-alone as well as an integrated channel. It can provide offer details to the customer, and at the same time, it can remind the customer to check the e-commerce site or Email to find out what’s new.
- SMS Marketing Statistics show that this is the most efficient and affordable method of reaching clients, whether future or existing. Which in fact, becomes a cheap yet efficient marketing strategy.
- SMS interactions can be clubbed with technologies to create a customer database. The customer-specific database can help the business understand their requirements without describing them!
As you can see in the SMS marketing statistics in 2023 we have covered here today, there are several reasons why SMS services are moving up the marketing ladder.
Smartphones easily flag calls related to ads and sales. Most people don’t even attend the sales call if they get a notification.
SMS marketing statistics for 2023 have shown that SMS has a more considerable impact on customers than many other marketing methods.
Most people don’t even open their spam emails. As a result, business enterprises cannot reach maximum customers to promote their latest offers and services.
This proves that a text message is highly likely to be viewed and read by people.
The short links sent via SMS marketing software have a reasonable conversion rate.
AI will analyze the customer’s past interactions. Once it identifies the customer behavior pattern, AI can implement innovative marketing techniques to influence the customer.
There are endless possibilities for SMS customization to earn the trust and loyalty of the customer.
SMS marketing statistics in 2023 show that it will likely become even more prominent in society in the future.