Quick Answer 🔍What is the Gmail market share in 2023?
Gmail claims a 29.43% market share in the email clients market worldwide.
Gmail is one of the most used Google products and services. It is an email service that helps users communicate with other people.
It remains to be one of the most popular email platforms used by businesses and companies around the world.
According to the latest report, there are around 4.3 billion email users in the world, and Gmail has more than 1.8 billion users.
Approximately 347.3 billion emails were received and sent per day globally, and around 124.5 billion are business emails.
An average worker receives about 121 emails daily.
Gmail is a platform allowing people to receive and send messages using the internet.
It is primarily used by businesses and companies as their main communication tool, accessible through the app and browser.
Every account on Gmail has an average of 5,700 messages which includes promotional and social messages.
Users usually make separate Gmail accounts for work, school, personal, and subscriptions.
This email service is one of the significant players in the email market. Every Gmail user owns one to two accounts.
It is considered to be the third most important platform to millennials, next to Facebook and Instagram.
According to Ofcom’s report, Gmail was the most popular email service worldwide in 2020.
67% of people use this platform, and 19% use their Gmail accounts daily.
It is followed by Microsoft email services and Yahoo Mail.
Gmail claims a 29.43% market share in the email clients market worldwide as of August 2022, a 2.23% increase from March 2021.
Let’s take a look at Gmail market share in the email market worldwide from 2021 to 2022:
- Gmail had a market share of 27.2% in the email clients market worldwide from January to March 2021
- Gmail had a market share of 36.5% in the email clients market worldwide on September 2021
- Gmail had a market share of 27.4% in the email clients market worldwide on February 2022
- Gmail had a market share of 26.5% in the email clients market worldwide on March 2022
- Gmail had a market share of 29.43% in the email clients market worldwide on August 2022
Based on statistics, 85% of the population in the United States are email users, equivalent to approximately 246 million users.
Among the 246 million email users, 130.9 million are Gmail users in the country, equal to 53% market share in the US email market in 2022.
All About Gmail
Gmail is a no-cost email service that can be accessed on devices including mobile phones, desktops, and tablets. It was launched in 2004 by Google.
It enables users to send and receive messages from different parts of the world.
Every basic account was provided 15 GB of storage for all their messages, Google Drive documents, and Google Photos.
This platform has one of the highest numbers of users around the world.
It currently has 1.8 billion users, from 1.5 billion in 2018. It holds more than 50% market share in the US email market in 2022.
The report shows that there are 14.5 million unsolicited commercial emails or spam emails sent every day.
The platform is blocking more than 99% of spam emails and malware.
Gmail was the top-ranking in the email client market worldwide in 2021, with a 27.8% market share.
It was the first time when Gmail leads the list since Apple Mail was the top in 2017.
The five most-used email clients worldwide as of August 2022 are Apple Mail, Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo Mail, and Google Android.
Gmail accounts for 29.43% of the email client market share worldwide, next to Apple Mail.
Below is a breakdown of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022:
- Apple Mail holds 57.72% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Gmail holds 29.43% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Outlook holds 4.33% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Yahoo! Mail holds 3.24% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Google Android holds 1.67% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Outlook.com holds 0.89% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Samsung Mail holds 0.24% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Windows Live Mail holds 0.07% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Orange.fr holds 0.06% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
- Web.de holds 0.06% of the email client market share worldwide as of August 2022
Number of Active Gmail Users Worldwide
Gmail remains to be one of the most widely used email services worldwide. The company recorded an estimated 35 million Gmail users in January 2012.
The number of Gmail users grew to more than 1.8 billion in 2020. This represents 23% of the world’s population.
Here are the numbers of Gmail active users worldwide:
- In January 2012, there were 0.35 billion Gmail active users worldwide
- In June 2012, there were 0.425 billion Gmail active users worldwide
- In May 2015, there were 0.9 billion Gmail active users worldwide
- In February 2016, there were 1 billion Gmail active users worldwide
- In October 2018, there were 1.5 billion Gmail active users worldwide
- In January 2020, there were 1.8 billion Gmail active users worldwide
Gmail Users by Age
Gmail users are mainly from the younger generations. 61% of Gmail users are aged 18 to 29 years old, while 54% are aged 30 to 44 years old.
36% are aged 45 to 54 years old, and 36% are aged 55 to 64 years old. According to statistics, the average age of all Gmail users worldwide is 31 years old.
How to Create a Gmail Account?
Users create a Google account to use the Gmail platform.
Gmail provides access to other productivity tools including Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Calendar, Google Slides, Google Hangouts, Google Meet, and Google Photos.
Follow these easy steps to create a Gmail account:
- Search the Gmail website on your browser
- Click “Create account”, and choose “For my personal use”, “For my child”, or “For my work or my business”
- Input your name, username, and password
- After inputting all the information needed, click “Next Step”
- Enter your phone number
- Verify your phone number through a verification code sent to you via voice call or text message
- Once verified, you can use your new Gmail account
Many people use Gmail instead of other email services since this platform is free, fast, and reliable to use.
Aside from that, Gmail offers high-quality encryption to improve security. It provides free 15 GB of storage.
It is also compatible with mobile devices and desktops, as well as web browsers.
Gmail market share is next to Apple Mail in email market share in 2023.
Marketers prefer using this platform in targeting audiences.
Over 90% of US startup businesses use Gmail as their primary email service for their business.