Quick Answer 🔍How many people use WeChat in 2022?
WeChat has nearly 1.29 billion users.
In this resource, we will discuss how many people use WeChat in 2022.
One of the world’s most popular social messaging applications is WeChat.
This application offers free messaging and calling features that support text, voice, and video, applicable on iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows.
Aside from messaging, WeChat also provides a mobile payment feature.
An average person uses WeChat for at least 82 minutes daily.
More than 410 million video and audio calls, and over 45 billion messages are made each day.
How Many People Use WeChat in 2022?
According to the latest data, China’s social networking platform known as WeChat, had nearly 1.29 billion users in Q1 2022.
There are roughly 750 million users each day. It also recorded 3.5 million registered mini-programs in 2021.
Below are the numbers of WeChat quarterly active users from Q1 2020 to Q1 2022:
- WeChat had around 1.203 billion active users in Q1 2020
- WeChat had around 1.206 billion active users in Q2 2020
- WeChat had around 1.213 billion active users in Q3 2020
- WeChat had around 1.225 billion active users in Q4 2020
- WeChat had around 1.242 billion active users in Q1 2021
- WeChat had around 1.251 billion active users in Q2 2021
- WeChat had around 1.263 billion active users in Q3 2021
- WeChat had around 1.268 billion active users in Q4 2021
- WeChat had around 1.288 billion active users in Q1 2022
Here are the numbers of WeChat annual active users from 2012 to 2021:
- In 2012, WeChat recorded approximately 50 million active users
- In 2013, WeChat recorded approximately 195 million active users
- In 2014, WeChat recorded approximately 396 million active users
- In 2015, WeChat recorded approximately 549 million active users
- In 2016, WeChat recorded approximately 762 million active users
- In 2017, WeChat recorded approximately 938 million active users
- In 2018, WeChat recorded approximately 1.04 billion active users
- In 2019, WeChat recorded approximately 1.17 billion active users
- In 2020, WeChat recorded approximately 1.22 billion active users
- In 2021, WeChat recorded approximately 1.27 billion active users
WeChat Pay Users
WeChat Pay is a feature integrated into the app used for paying the purchased products.
This payment feature has native in-app payments, in-app web-based payments, quick pay, and QR code payments.
It is one of China’s most popular payment platforms with 900 million users.
Let’s take a look at the number of WeChat Pay active users from 2016 to 2021:
- There were about 430 million WeChat Pay active users in 2016
- There were about 600 million WeChat Pay active users in 2017
- There were about 720 million WeChat Pay active users in 2018
- There were about 800 million WeChat Pay active users in 2019
- There were about 865 million WeChat Pay active users in 2020
- There were about 900 million WeChat Pay active users in 2021
Age Groups of People Using WeChat
WeChat is one of the most used messaging apps worldwide, especially in China.
It was mostly used by ages 51 years old and above, accounting for more than 22% of the total WeChat users in China.
Meanwhile, ages 25 to 30 years old were the least users of this app, accounting for almost 14%.
Here is the distribution of ages of WeChat users in China in Q1 2022:
- WeChat users aged 24 years old and below are 22.3% of the total number of WeChat users in China
- WeChat users aged 25 to 30 years old are 13.7% of the total number of WeChat users in China
- WeChat users aged 31 to 40 years old are 22% of the total number of WeChat users in China
- WeChat users aged 41 to 50 years old are 19.2% of the total number of WeChat users in China
- WeChat users aged 51 years old and above are 22.7% of the total number of WeChat users in China
Countries with the Most WeChat Users
WeChat is used to communicate with other users in different parts of the world.
It was initially used for messaging, and eventually, it has become an all-inclusive social media platform and a mobile payment app.
The majority of WeChat users came from China, where the app is based, although some users will login from other countries via a VPN for WeChat.
WeChat Annual Revenue
As this platform became more popular, more users created an account.
In 2021, WeChat generated approximately $17.49 billion in revenue including Tencent’s social media revenue.
This represents a $1.34 billion increase from the previous year and a $5.21 billion increase two years ago.
How to Sign Up for WeChat
Signing up for WeChat is not as easy as the process of other social media platforms.
When creating an account, people need to request the help of verified users to scan the QR code to verify the account.
Here is a short guide when signing up for WeChat:
- Search for the “WeChat” app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store, then download it
- Open the app and click “Sign Up” to create an account
- Start signing up using an Apple ID, Google account, mobile number, or Facebook account
- Set an avatar together with a username and password. Read and agree to the Terms of Service
- Check the box located near the lower part of the screen for the Privacy Terms of WeChat
- A puzzle will pop up on the screen. Slide the puzzle pieces to solve it. This will verify that the user is not a robot
- A QR code will be provided after solving the puzzle correctly. Follow the instructions given on how to get verified
- Contact a verified WeChat user. Request to scan your QR code using the WeChat app. Make sure to follow the WeChat guidelines.
- A verification code will be sent after successfully scanning the QR code and entering your phone number. Input the code in the WeChat app.
- Your account is now activated.
WeChat is a multi-purpose messaging, social media, and payment platform developed in China by the tech giant, Tencent.
It started as a simple messaging platform, improved its features, and added a mobile payment feature, named WeChat Pay.
WeChat Pay recorded around 900 million users in 2021 and is projected to reach up to 2.5 billion users in 2025.
Thanks for reading our article on how many people use WeChat in 2022.