In a hurry?
The best VPN for VPN for Nintendo Switch in 2023, as found in our independent testing, is NordVPN!
The best VPN for Nintendo Switch can help unblock geo-restrictions, speed up your game download, and shield you from DDoS attacks.
Suppose Switch did not place limitations on downloading foreign software.
In that case, the Venn diagram of VPN and Nintendo Switch users would be a circle.
This means a host of exclusive location-specific games, movies, and TV shows would be inaccessible on the device.
Fret not! We will teach you how to get VPN working on Nintendo Switch and recommend you the best VPN for Nintendo Switch, which will help you play restricted games while staying safe, private, and with zero lag.
Best VPN for Nintendo Switch 2023
After going through all the well-known VPN services for Nintendo Switch, we found the following three to be the most reliable:
Most VPNs have a pre-configured router version or can be integrated into your router.
NordVPN has maintained its place as the undefeated king of VPN for many purposes.
Counting over 5400 servers in 60 countries, it unblocks content in almost any part of the world.
Two thousand of these servers are based in the US. It provides fast streaming for all OTT apps, including Hulu.
Considering it is the only streaming service you can download on the Nintendo Switch, this is an excellent feature to have.
- NordVPN is the industry leader (by a long way)
- 30-day risk-free trial
- Superfast speeds
- 5,442+ servers in 60+ countries
- Strict no-logs policy
- Next-generation military-grade encryption
- DoubleVPN, double privacy
- 6 simultaneous device connections
- Great for: Safety, security, anonymity & peace of mind
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad & iOS, Linux, routers, Apple TV, FireFox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and more
Up to 6 devices can be connected to NordVPN, so it always has a place for your Switch.
You will also find routers in the market which come with NordVPN pre-configured.
If you are having trouble connecting your VPN subscription to your router, you can use their 24/7 live chat support to assist you with the process.
NordVPN also has obfuscated servers, which tunnel your connection under so many layers, it takes some time for even your ISP to become aware you are using a VPN service.
The security solution also has a reputation as a fast VPN.
The tool has been audited twice and has got the best marks on speed from AV-TEST.
Other NordVPN features include:
- Kill Switch
- AES-256-bit encryption
- DNS leak protection and private DNS
- Zero activity logging
- Double encryption
- Split tunneling
No wonder PewDiePie, Philip DeFranco, and CaseyNeistat, who create, download, and stream content over the internet, are big NordVPN supporters.
With over 3200 servers in 100 countries, Surfshark extends its protection in locations most VPN services do not.
Independent auditors have also assessed Surfshark as a fast VPN service that sticks to its promise of logging no user activity.
- Surfshark is the best budget VPN
- 30-day risk-free trial
- Strict no-logs policy
- 3200+ servers in 95 countries
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections
- Great for: private browsing on a budget
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iOS, Linux, FireFox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and more
Both PCMag and TechRadar have praised the service for its combination of functionality and speed.
Offering subscription plans at highly competitive pricing, you can connect unlimited devices to the VPN service.
This means you would not have to worry about how many devices you can connect to your VPN-configured router.
It has essential features such as:
- Ad and malware tracking and blocking
- Pop-up cookie blockers
- Two-factor authentication
- 24/7 customer service
Surfshark works on several protocols, including WireGuarrd, IKev2/IPSec, and OpenVPN UDP/TCP.
You will have no trouble configuring your router with the VPN subscription details.
You will also find pre-flashes routers with Surfshark enabled on the market.
Combined with military-grade encryption, an IP rotator, and Bypass features, Surfshark is a beast of a VPN.
The MultiHop features allow Surfshark to spoof your location into two places at once.
They have excellent customer support services. If you need help, their customer representative will help you enable or disable any of these features.
They will walk you through the entire process.
3. Atlas VPN
Lastly, on our list, we have Atlas VPN, which does not have router support.
However, you can enable Atlas VPN on a Windows laptop, turn on a mobile hotspot and then connect your Nintendo Switch.
Your gaming console would be under the secure Atlas VPN connection.
Atlas VPN has a range of super-fast servers, P2P friendly, WireGuard, IPSEC/IKEV2, Private DNS enabled, SafeSwap, and streaming.
- Atlas VPN is the best free VPN
- Privacy Pro servers
- 750 servers in 40+ locations
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections
- Great for: people seeking a freemium VPN
- Compatible with: Windows, MacOS, Android, iPhone & iOS, Android TV, Fire TV Stick
With this level of customization, it is advantageous to use a makeshift virtual router with VPN protection.
You can change the settings at any time you need.
Atlas VPN also maintains a no-log policy and scours the internet for any data breach.
The Kill Switch ensures you are logged out to prevent data leaks whenever your network is unprotected.
Military-grade encryption and the MultiHop feature help protect your connection at all times.
Atlas VPN provides all these services at under $2 per month. You can try it free for 30 days on an unlimited number of devices.
At the end of the trial period, you get your money back if you do not like their services or wish to use another VPN service instead.
How to Set Up a VPN on Nintendo Switch?
It is not possible to set up a VPN on the Nintendo Switch. There is no technological support.
You cannot find a VPN on the Nintendo eShop either. As such, there is no way for you to install it on the gaming console.
However, connecting your Nintendo Switch to a separate VPN app is possible.
There are two ways to achieve this. You can place your router under VPN protection.
This will secure your internet and any device linked to the router, including the Switch.
Or, you can install a VPN on your Windows PC or laptop. Turn your PC into a hotspot and reroute your Switch to it.
Since VPN is enabled on your computer, the tool will also work for your gaming device.
Setup VPN on Nintendo Switch via a Router
Configuring your router to work under a VPN connection is easier than you think.
- Register and subscribe to a VPN service. We will recommend NordVPN as it is compatible with almost all routers.
- Open Chrome, Safari, or any other browser. Enter your router’s IP address.
- If you do not know your router’s assigned IP, click the start button on Windows.
- Type in “cmd” in the search section.
- Select the Command Prompt app, which you will get as an option on the screen.
- Write “ipconfig” on the Command box and press Enter.
- The number beside or under Default Gateway is your router’s IP address.
- You may have to log in to your router’s settings page with a username and password. You should find the login details on the router or the box.
- Copy the details of your VPN profile into your router settings. Some routers may have a separate VPN tab, while others require you to upload the firmware.
Once you integrate the VPN into the router, the VPN will secure every device that uses your router’s internet.
So, all you need to do is connect your Nintendo Switch to your router.
- Open Switch.
- Go to the Home menu.
- Click on the Internet.
- Tap Internet Settings.
- Your device will search for an available connection.
- Link it to your router.
- Enter the password to your router.
This method does come with certain limitations. For example, any changes you make to your VPN subscription will not apply to the router.
If you want it to process the changes, you must log in to your router to enter the new information.
So, if you were to route your server from the US to Canada, it would cause a glitch in your internet connection until you do the same for your router.
Setup VPN on Nintendo Switch Via a Windows PC or a Laptop
Tunneling your Switch connection through VPN enabled windows laptop is an option with excellent convenience.
The setup process may be complicated, but it allows you greater control over your VPN service.
- Select one out of our top 3 VPNs. You could try Surfshark if flexibility is your goal.
- Once you subscribe, download the Windows version of the app.
- After logging in, reroute to a server of your choice or let the Auto Connect button works its magic.
- Once the server connection is established, go to your device Settings.
- Navigate to Network & Internet.
- Toggle on the Switch for the Mobile hotspot option.
- Tap on the arrow beside the option.
- Give your hotspot a name and password by using the Edit button to secure your connection.
- Make sure the box says Wi-Fi on the “Share my internet connection from” section.
- Now, go back to Network & Internet, where you will find the VPN section.
- You will see Add VPN option on the menu.
- Enter details such as the name of the VPN provider, connection, and server name.
- Sign in with the credentials from your VPN account.
- Now, connect your Switch to your laptop or PC hotspot.
The process for MacOS is similar for the most part. The basic concept boils down to enabling VPN on your laptop and turning the device into a hotspot your Nintendo Switch can connect to.
Why Use a VPN For Nintendo Switch?
Nintendo Switch is a gaming console that allows you to download games and movies available in your location.
The downloadable items are available in the Nintendo eShop.
However, different regions get separate sets of media. To access those, you need to change your eShop location.
A VPN allows you to bypass these geographical limitations by obscuring your IP address and assigning you a new one to a place you want to access.
ISPs also put a cap on your internet bandwidth.
While this is generally unnoticeable, Nintendo Switch has many high-speed games. The lag is especially apparent with multi-players.
A Paid VPN service comes with no bandwidth limitations. You get fast and complete access to the games and can stream effortlessly.
Of course, the biggest and often the reason people search for a VPN is to protect their devices.
It allows you to lead a safer, anonymous existence on the web and shields you from hackers.
A VPN also hides your online activities from your ISP.
VPNs prevent malicious parties from hitting your connection with a DDoS attack. Your entire network would be unavailable if you were to face it.
Why Can’t I Connect My Router to a VPN?
Log into your router’s control panel. If you can not find any option to enter the details of your VPN subscription, your router does not support VPN.
You can also check the router box to see if it states anything about being suitable for IKEv2, OpenVPN, or similar protocols.
Generally, routers issued by ISPs do not have the firmware to install VPNs. Before you buy one, confirm whether the settings are present.
Alternatively, you can buy pre-configured routers, such as the ones sold by NordVPN.
Is it Against the Terms of Service to Use a VPN on Nintendo Switch?
No, Nintendo has no issue with people using a VPN-enabled router and connecting it to Switch.
In fact, Nintendo encourages users to create several accounts to access different locations, a service which does not require VPN.
Nintendo’s reason for geo-blocking content has more to do with their decision to provide full support for games available in each region.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Nintendo Switch?
To use a VPN on a Nintendo Switch, you will need to install a VPN on a router or turn your PC into a mobile hotspot with a VPN connection.
In both situations, free VPNs do not provide the required features.
Additionally, part of the reason you are using a VPN on Nintendo Switch is to ante up the speed. Using a free VPN, with its slower servers, defeats the purpose.
Free VPNs also have a smaller body of servers.
If you want to access geo-restricted content, you are unlikely to find an appropriate server to unblock it.
Not to mention no free VPN service, even Atlas VPN, which allows you to unblock streaming content from Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Nor can you expect a service you did not have to pay for to protect you against DDoS attacks.
Free VPN services are incompatible with Nintendo Switch, and you should not opt for them.
In Summary, the best VPNs in 2023 are;
|Rating||VPN Service||Get Offer|
|#1 Top Rated#1||NordVPN - #1 VPN in the industry||FREE Trial|
|#2 Top Rated#2||Surfshark - top budget VPN||Start Now|
|#3 Top Rated#3||Atlas VPN - best free VPN||Start Now|
You would have an easier time enabling a VPN on Nintendo Switch if there was an option to install the security solutions directly from eShop.
However, as this does not seem like something that will happen soon, installing a VPN on your router is the best option.
You will also find companies selling pre-configured VPN routers among the 3 best VPNs for Nintendo Switch.
This may be better to purchase if you don’t want to hassle or spend your precious time configuring a router.