Wi-Fi brought a new age of fast internet, being the fastest in the daily use business.
Many already have a router set up at home, and numerous others are searching for the best ones they can buy.
Most people look for speed and security when surfing the internet.
And indeed, they are the only ones that matter to the non-tech savvy group. There is a lot more to it when it comes down to detail.
But why VPN routers?
You can obviously connect to a VPN from your device. We are here to answer these and help you choose the best VPN routers.
Why Use a VPN Router?
You can indeed use a VPN even without a router, but what if you need online security for everyone in your house?
You can individually connect every device to a VPN, but it is a hassle.
In addition, you can’t add a VPN to your TV since many VPNs don’t yet have a TV app, and other than this, TVs don’t have support for manual VPN setup.
Let’s see some more benefits:
- Security for every device on the network since Wi-Fi is also vulnerable to security attacks.
- Unlock streaming content blocked in your country for every device in your house, including smart devices.
- Gaming benefits, like low ping, unblock game servers and even games blocked in your country.
And all of this with a single setting change in your router.
Though manual setups can be challenging for newbies, detailed instructions are available to make it – a piece of cake.
Best VPN Router
Here’s the list of some of the best VPN Routers you can buy to get the most out of your online life without any bounds or restrictions.
Technical Specifications: 1.8 GHz CPU and 512 MB Ram, 4x LAN Gigabit Ports, Speeds up to 1625 Mbps at 5GHz and 750 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band, 2 Link Aggregation Ports.
The TP-Link AC4000 is an average-priced router that is handy regarding above-average usage requirements.
With Tri-band series Mu-Mimo technology, you can better control the speed requirements of your devices.
Link aggregation doubles the speed up to 2 Gbps, while the TP-Link HomeCare Network Security takes care of the Antivirus and Parental Controls settings.
The VPN setting is accessible from the Web-GUI with all the options on the screen; it is easy to set up.
And the RangeBoost, along with Beamforming, generates extensive and fast network coverage.
Technical Specifications: 1.8 GHz dual Core CPU and 512 MB RAM, 256 MB Flash Memory, 4x LAN Gigabit Ports, Speeds Up to 2600 Mbps on 5GHz and 600 Mbps on 2.4GHz band.
The Linksys WRT 3200 ACM is a fully customizable large household router.
With features such as the Tri-Stream 160 boost and MU-MIMO support, you will enjoy fast speeds on multiple devices and up to 3.2 Gbps combined speeds.
What’s best is you can control every aspect of the router through the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app. In addition, you can set device prioritization for max speeds.
The Open-Source firmware allows you to exploit the full potential of the router by using distributions such as OpenWrt and DD-WRT.
This will enable you to set up secure VPNs, turn the router into a web server, detect network intrusions, and make it a properly customizable device.
Technical Specifications: 1.5GHz tri-core processor and 512 MB RAM, 256 MB Flash RAM, 4x LAN Gigabit Ports, Speeds up to 5400 Mbps on 5GHz band and 600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band.
ASUS is a giant in gaming and advanced technology, and TUF Gaming AX5400 is one example of its presence.
With the latest Wi-Fi 6, OFDMA, and Beamforming, you can experience the fastest internet speeds.
The customization settings are entirely different and are not a piece of cake.
The ASUS AiMesh boosts the range coverage, and AiProtection keeps your family safe over the internet allowing parental control settings and much more.
The VPN setup is easy, diverse protocols are supported to choose from, and VPN Fusion makes it even better.
The switch modes allow you to modify the working conditions of the router.
This is just a small list of what you can achieve with TUF Gaming AX5400, and it is better if you research it by yourself.
Technical Specifications: 1.5 GHz quad-core processor and 512 Mb RAM, 1x 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port, 1x 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port, 3x LAN Gigabits Port, Speeds up to 4804 Mbps on 5 GHz band and 574 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band.
The TP-Link Archer GX90 is a state-of-the-art router with a tri-band structure for higher speeds.
The design is just excellent, and so is the game accelerator that detects and optimizes issues and lags in the gaming device.
It also uses the OFDMA, MU-MIMO, and Beamforming technology to expand the area and device coverage to reach every corner of your home.
Built for gaming, it depicts the gaming stats and has a game protector and a gaming band with the highest speed.
It has intelligent VPN settings that make the setup more effortless.
HomeCare keeps the virus protection in check along with Parental controls and malicious content blocking.
Technical Specifications: 1.7 GHz dual-core processor and 512 Mb RAM, 4x LAN Gigabit Ports, 1x WAN Gigabit Ports, Multiple Dual WAN Ports, Speeds up to 1.73 Gbps for 5 GHz band and 800 Mbps for 2.4 GHz band.
The Synology RT2600ac is entirely different from all the other VPN routers mentioned in this list.
This router is suitable for offices and tiny houses since it offers extensive security features, which you wouldn’t have heard about in Wi-Fi.
The management GUI windows are just exceptional; with visual effects, it becomes super easier to limit and control every user and set parental rules accordingly.
With so many VPN protocols available, you can switch to any security level you want. In addition, you can log your VPN data when connected to the router.
Also, it can be used as a private cloud to synchronize files across all devices.
More Best-Selling VPNs from Amazon
What to Look for in a VPN Router
Choosing VPN Routers is almost the same as choosing standard Wi-Fi Routers, with a few differences.
And there are also some general points to keep in mind, and they are:
- Maximum Speed: To make the most out of your ISP, you must keep in mind that your router supports high internet and link speeds so that it doesn’t limit your experience.
- Network Ports and Coverage: You must keep in mind the number of ports available in the router to ensure all your devices fit in, and you can manually choose which port you need a VPN with and which you don’t. You can have your original IP on one device and a server IP on the other. Also, the network area must be large enough to supply great coverage to every device.
- Power Processor: Normal routers don’t need a superior processor to handle things since they only route your internet. However, a VPN router is an advanced device it needs to manage a lot of info, like the many server data, port settings, and all the other important information. Therefore, it needs a robust processor to prevent lags that might happen.
Besides the above, the router’s and the VPN’s prices should also be kept in mind. Routers range from two digits to even a thousand bucks.
Therefore, you need to choose wisely in your budget and the best one.
It’s not just limited to these a lot of things matter, but they don’t need much focus since they are almost the same for every VPN router.
What is the Best Router VPN?
If you know which router you are buying, the next thing is to decide which VPN you should use with your router.
Many VPN services are available for you to choose from, but we suggest using NordVPN.
NordVPN has been one of the leading VPN companies, providing data protection services for almost a decade.
And its manual VPN system is one of the best, so let’s see what makes Nord a suggestion here.
- NordVPN is the industry leader (by a long way)
- 30-day risk-free trial
- Superfast speeds
- 5,442+ servers in 60+ countries
- Strict no-logs policy
- Next-generation military-grade encryption
- DoubleVPN, double privacy
- 6 simultaneous device connections
- Great for: Safety, security, anonymity & peace of mind
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad & iOS, Linux, routers, Apple TV, FireFox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and more
- Numerous and Diverse Servers: Nord offers a collection of 5400+ servers, the most you will find. In addition, some servers offer surfing speeds up to 6730+ Mbps. This makes it easier to surf all over the world’s data at home. In addition, Wireguard technology makes it even faster than other VPNs.
- Secure Encryption and Minimal Logging: Nord uses AES-256 encryption technology making it challenging for hackers to crack your data, thanks to the high block sizes. Additionally, Nord headquarters is in Panama, so no one can enforce them to share user data; also, they have a no-logs policy and store only primary data like emails and payment information.
- Detailed Guides and Help Centre: One of the most significant essentials you will need is a detailed guide to help you set up the VPN. Nord offers this and has a dedicated page for each different firmware. Besides, you can contact the Support Center anytime you want; they are always eager to help you.
- Meshnet: Meshnet is the newest addition to Nord’s excellent feature list. This feature lets you connect two or more devices situated anywhere in the world over NordVPN’s NordLynx secure protocol. It makes sharing data with people you trust even more secure. Remember, using mesh net shares your traffic with the other person, and their ISP can access it too.
- Specialty Servers: Nord offers specialty servers for better protection and purpose. Such as P2P servers for torrenting, Onion Over VPN for multiple layered security, and Double VPN for double tunneling; an intermediate server is present between the VPN server and your IP.
The list would keep extending to secure Protocols, shared IP addresses, and secure DNS if it wasn’t for the most important ones.
NordVPN is relatively pricier than its counterparts. However, it’s not a fair comparison since it offers many more features than the others.
What are Flash Routers?
Flashing means to overwrite the default firmware of the router with another one popularly known as DD-WRT.
Flash Routers come with DD-WRT firmware which enhances performance and control over the router as compared to the default firmware provided by the company.
Buying Flash Routers can be an excellent choice, but we do not recommend them for beginners since they differ from ordinary routers regarding features and management.
Can I use a VPN with my Current Router?
It depends on whether your router supports VPN features; if yes, you can use VPN with your router, or else you will need to buy a new one.
To verify, you can check the features of your router from the company’s website and see if VPN support is available.
Can I use any VPN with my Router?
Yes, you can use any VPN with your router, given that the VPN supports manual connections over different protocols, and your router supports VPN setup.
However, we recommend going for the top ones in the space since using a VPN decrease browsing speed too.
Realizing that the article went a little longer than expected, it is sure that you learned a lot. We listed the products we thought to be the best; it is up to you to choose.
Depending on your budget, family size, and requirements, you can select but keep in mind the vital points mentioned above.
For the VPN part, if you already use one, you can check out its support page for the connection details.
However, if not, we suggest you go for NordVPN; it is secure, offers many features, and is best for newbies, other than the meshnet part.
With everything said, I hope you get your best router for VPNs, and we meet again with something new.