Quick Answer 🔍How many employess does Amazon have in 2024?
Amazon has approximately 1,541,000 full-time and part-time employees.
The internet has changed people’s lives. Today, we can purchase products from different stores without going outside our cozy homes.
We can say that almost everything is available online – either gadgets, appliances, apparel, books, cleaning materials, or even food and beverages.
When it comes to online shopping, Amazon is the leading and largest online retailer worldwide, with more than 310 million users.
Aside from selling various products, Amazon also offers subscription services like Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Music.
But do you know who played a significant role in the company’s growth and how many employees does Amazon have today?
Let’s find out.
Amazon Employees: How Many Employees Does Amazon Have in 2024?
Online shoppers are very familiar with Amazon since it is the US retail e-commerce market leader.
It accounted for 37.8% market share.
Currently, more than 1.9 million small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) worldwide are selling on Amazon, and they make up nearly 60% of the company’s retail sales.
According to the most recent report, Amazon has approximately 1,541,000 full-time and part-time employees.
It recorded the peak of the company’s headcount in 2021, with 1,608,000 employees.
With the reopening and restructuring of physical stores, and the slow-growing online retail sales in 2022, Amazon implemented a workforce reduction.
It has to cut 67,000 jobs in 2022 from over 1.6 million in the prior year.
Number of Amazon Employees
Here are the numbers of Amazon employees from 2007 to 2022:
- In 2007, there were 17,000 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
- In 2010, there were 33,700 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
- In 2013, there were 117,300 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
- In 2016, there were 341,400 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
- In 2019, there were 798,000 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
- In 2020, there were 1,298,000 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
- In 2021, there were 1,608,000 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
- In 2022, there were 1,541,000 full-time and part-time employees working at Amazon
Brief History of Amazon
Jeff Bezos founded Amazon in his garage in Bellevue, Washington, on July 1994. After a year, he officially opened as an online bookseller.
Bezos incorporated it as Cadabra but changed it to Amazon later on. He got the name Amazon while browsing words starting with “A” in a dictionary.
He selected Amazon in reference to the “Amazon River,” the largest river in the world by volume.
In February 2005, Amazon launched its membership-based service, Amazon Prime.
Then, the company launched Amazon Web Services (AWS) the following year, offering online services to client-side applications and websites.
They expanded the AWS portfolio with Elastic Computer Cloud (EC2) and Simple Storage Services (S3).
Amazon and Kindle
In 2007, the company launched the Kindle e-reader. This allows users to buy and read e-books and other reading materials from the Kindle Store.
After a few years, Amazon presented the Kindle Fire to the public, Amazon’s first tablet computer.
In 2014, they released the Amazon Fire TV Stick and rolled out Amazon Alexa the following year.
Aside from selling products and services, Amazon also sells food. In 2017, Amazon acquired Whole Foods, an organic grocery store.
After a few months, it launched an “advanced store with no waiting lines” named Amazon Go.
Now, it is the largest online retailer worldwide.
Average Age of Amazon Employees
According to Zippia’s data, the average age of Amazon employees ranges between 20 to 30 years old.
More than half of their employees are between the said age range.
Here is the age breakdown of Amazon employees:
- 19% of Amazon employees are between 18 to 20 years old
- 54% of Amazon employees are between 20 to 30 years old
- 17% of Amazon employees are between 30 to 40 years old
- 8% of Amazon employees are 40 years old and above
Length of Employment of Amazon Employees
Some reports reveal that the average length of employment at Amazon is less than a year.
About 49% of Amazon employees work in the company for less than a year. Most of their warehouse workers stay for just eight months.
Below are the length of employment at Amazon, based on Zippia:
- 49% of employees work at Amazon for less than a year
- 19% of employees work at Amazon for 1 to 2 years
- 4% of employees work at Amazon for 3 to 4 years
- 20% of employees work at Amazon for 5 to 7 years
- 5% of employees work at Amazon for 8 to 10 years
- 3% of employees work at Amazon for at least 11 years
Diversity of Amazon Employees
Amazon is committed to inclusion and diversity. They continuously track the representation of underrepresented communities.
Their diverse perspectives recognize people’s different genders, sexual orientations, races, nationalities, cultures, ages, education, and experiences.
Amazon reported in 2021 that 55.2% of the company’s global workforce were men, while 44.8% were women.
The majority of their employees were White, accounting for 30.2%, followed by Black, with more than 28%.
Here are the percentages of Amazon employees by race/ethnicity in 2021:
- 30.2% of Amazon employees were White
- 28.2% of Amazon employees were Black
- 23.6% of Amazon employees were LatinX
- 13.2% of Amazon employees were Asian
- 3.3% of Amazon employees were Multiracial
- 1.5% of Amazon employees were Native American
Amazon Employee Benefits
Amazon offers an average starting wage of around $19 hourly. Along with that, it also offers benefits for its employees and their eligible family members.
These benefits include fully-funded college tuition for operations employees, paid parental leave, health care coverage, life and accident insurance, retirement plan, and opportunities in owning Amazon stock.
Aside from that, the company invested more than $1.2 billion in training and career growth project to upskill their employees and further their careers and roles.
Amazon Employees by State
In 2021, about 1.1 million out of 1.6 million Amazon employees were in the United States.
It recorded employees in corporate offices, physical retail stores, fulfillment centers, and shipping hubs in 47 states in the country.
Based on the World Population Review, there were approximately 170,000 Amazon employees in California in 2021 and 95,000 in Texas.
While the company’s home state, Washington, was the third, with 85,000 employees.
How Long Do Amazon Employees Work per Week?
Amazon offers full-time, reduced-time, and part-time jobs to its employees.
They also give schedule flexibility, whether the employee wants fixed schedules, flexible schedules, or a combination of both fixed and flexible schedules.
- Employees must work at least 40 hours per week for full-time jobs. All full-time employees will have a full range of benefits.
- Employees must work between 30 to 39 hours per week for reduced-time jobs. All employees with reduced time will have comparable benefits as those full-time employees.
- Employees must work between 20 to 29 hours per week for part-time jobs. All part-time employees will have some of the benefits.
Amazon is one of the well-known and leading retail e-commerce markets worldwide.
Even though it is said to be one of the market leaders, it is undeniable that like many businesses, it also experienced a recession which is why they need to lay off employees.
This brought Amazon employees from nearly 1.61 million to 1.54 million. This is how many employees Amazon has today.