Quick Answer 🔍How many people use Alexa in 2024?
Approximately 68.2% of smart speaker users in the US use Amazon Echo, an Amazon device with Alexa.
In recent years, many people are becoming regular users of smart speakers to make life easier.
Alexa, also known as Amazon Alexa is one of the popular voice assistants that can respond to commands and requests on Amazon devices like Amazon Echo, Amazon Smart Thermostat, and Wyze Cam.
This cloud-based voice assistant answers questions, set alarms, plays music, checks the weather, controls a smart home, and acts as a personal assistant.
How Many People Use Alexa in 2024?
Based on the latest records, approximately 68.2% of smart speaker users in the US use Amazon Echo, an Amazon device with Alexa.
This represents a 1.5% decrease from the 2020 record.
Amazon Alexa held the highest position in the global smart speaker market in 2019, accounting for more than 21.7% of global smart speaker purchases.
According to statistics, more than 100,000 smart home devices were supported by Amazon Alexa, up by about 40% compared to the 60,000 smart home devices in 2019.
Devices like voice-activated lights, smart TVs and remotes, smart air conditioners, and smart door locks are connected to a smart speaker.
Amazon is Dominating the Smart Speaker Market
In 2021, Amazon shipped the greatest number of smart speakers to different parts of the world.
It shipped 20% of smart speakers, while Xiaomi and Baidu handled about 14% each, and Google with 9%. The other 20% were from Apple and other providers.
Who Uses Alexa the Most?
Amazon Alexa can be used by all people with Amazon smart speakers. It is used to help people with their regular tasks and simplify their actions.
According to the latest data, Amazon Alexa is used to ask for information and respond to commands.
About 84.9% of Alexa users requested to set a timer and alarm, 82.4% requested to play songs, and 66% requested to read the news.
Alexa is mostly used by people who:
- prefer voice control in their smart homes
- love playing music, hearing news and weather updates, and setting up alarms
- need a personal assistant
- regularly do online shopping
- enjoy using convenient devices
Which Age Group Uses Alexa the Most?
Amazon Alexa is becoming more popular with different age groups based on its functions and usage.
Amazon Echo revealed that younger generations don’t use Alexa oftentimes. Only 19% of people aged 18 to 24 years old use Alexa, while 29% of people aged 25 to 34 years old use it.
On the other hand, the middle age group and older generations are Alexa’s top users.
39% of users are from ages 35 to 44 years old, 34% of users from 45 to 54 years old, and more than 40% from 55 years and older.
What are People Using Alexa For?
Most Alexa users look for shopping-related products including deals and discounts.
About 11.5% of buyers used Amazon Alexa to shop for products online in 2021 and approximately 18% of these users are from the younger generations, particularly the Millennials.
Best Amazon Alexa Devices
Most Amazon devices include a virtual assistant, Alexa.
It is compatible with smart home devices with cameras, smart TVs, smart remotes, smart speakers, smart lights, smart air conditioners, smart thermostats, and home security systems.
Let’s take a look at some of the best Amazon Alexa Devices:
- Amazon Echo (4th Gen)
- Wyze Cam v3 (2020)
- Amazon Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen)
- August WiFi Smart Lock
- Amazon Smart Thermostat
- Wyze Bulb
- Ring Alarm Pro
- TP-Link Kasa Smart WiFi Plug Mini
- Echo Show 15
- Halo View Fitness Tracker Band
Smart Speaker Devices in the United States
The Amazon Echo is the most popular and most used smart speaker in the US.
Almost 47 million Amazon Echo units were installed in the US compared to 2.5 million units of Apple Home Pod installed.
Here is a list of smart speaker devices installed in the US in 2020:
- About 46.5 million units of Amazon Echo made the installed base in the US
- About 27.1 million units of Google Home made the installed base in the US
- About 2.5 million units of Apple Home Pod made the installed base in the US
- About 4.1 million units of Sonos made the installed base in the US
- About 7.5 million units of other smart speakers made the installed base in the US
How to Use Alexa?
Follow these easy steps to set up Alexa:
- Enable the WiFi and Bluetooth for an easier setup
- Download the Alexa App on a smartphone
- Plug in the Amazon Echo device
- Open the Alexa App and start setting up. If there is no prompt to setup, open the app and tap the “More” icon
- After setting up, call out the name “Alexa”, then request something such as news, music, weather, and information.
Why Do People Like Alexa?
Alexa became an integral part of other people’s lives. More users prefer using Alexa since it can do almost everything.
This voice assistant minimizes the work of its users. Another reason is that users don’t need to pay to have Alexa, it’s included in smart devices.
Here is a list of the usage of Alexa:
- Set up alarms and timers
- Stream music
- Play radio and podcasts
- Get news and weather updates
- Control all smart home devices using voice (TV, remote, speaker, light, door, thermostat, air conditioner, refrigerator, and camera)
- Sleep music
- Play games
- Make calls
- Update the smart security system
- Search for information and data
- Send a virtual hug to the user’s contacts
- Alexa Guard (signs of trouble like a smoke alarm)
- Ask for nutrition tips
- Cleaning the place (robot vacuum)
- Schedule a meeting
Upcoming Alexa Features
Amazon revealed new features of Alexa to make people’s lives simpler and focus on doing the things they love the most.
The upcoming Alexa features offer entertainment for families, maintain their connection and interaction, and automate a smart home.
Here are some of the upcoming features of Alexa:
- Fire TV on Amazon Echo Show 15 – watch movies from Showtime and Paramount+ by saying “Alexa, play (the title of the movie)”
- Creative AI – co-create unique stories and customize animated characters
- Personalized Routine Content – get personalized results for routinary actions like calendar updates and upcoming meetings
- Weather Insights – integrate weather schedule insights into the calendar and receive the weather forecast as far as ten days
- Video Sticky Notes – record a video message about your notes, instructions, or reminders
- Shop the Look – a more personal shopping experience by describing a fashion inspiration to view it on screen
- Turning On/Off Smart Home Devices – setting up a specific time to turn on and off the devices
The smart speaker industry is gaining more popularity in the current years compared to the previous years.
They recorded approximately 163 million devices in 2021.
About 63% of the people in the US are aware of Amazon Alexa, and even younger people below 18 years old already know its function and usage.
Amazon is one of the top-ranking smart speaker providers in the industry.
The market share of Amazon smart devices in the US reached 53% of the US smart speaker market share in 2020.