You’ve likely already heard of Facebook (Meta) Messenger and you may use it. You may have heard of WhatsApp, which is basically a rival messaging service to Facebook (Meta) Messenger.
Have you ever heard of Kik? Today, we will discuss how many people use Kik along with more Kik statistics you need.
In 2010, Ted Livingston launched Kik to help connect the world via one app and to let users talk to one another with anonymity and privacy.
After over 10 years since its launch, Kik has finally gained some solid recognition and traction as a private messenger app.
Some people believe that Kik messenger will become a rival to Facebook’s (Meta’s) and WhatsApp messengers.
Let’s see what the following Kik user statistics say about that possibility and how many people use Kik.
Key Kik User Statistics 2022
- The most recent data reveals that Kik has 15 million active monthly users, of which 7.2 million reside in the United States.
- Kik has more than 300 million registered users across the globe.
- Kik users statistics show that its active users spend an average of 36.5 hours on the app per month, one hour per day, and 2.24 minutes per session.
- The average age group actively using Kik the most at 70% falls between 13 and 24 years old.
- 48% of America’s young people access the mobile app monthly.
- Kik is currently experiencing over 1 million downloads each month.
- 2.5 million of Kik’s global users are actively engaging on the app daily.
- Kik user statistics report that the number of registered users of the app grew between 30 million in 2012 to 300 million by 2016.
- Kik has reached the top ten among messaging apps with teenagers in America.
- Well-known brands like Sephora and Shopify have already begun to take advantage of Kik to connect with American teens for increasing brand awareness and sales.
How Many People Use Kik and Who are They?
1. Kik Has 15 Million Active Monthly Users.
Though Kik has 15 million users that are active each month on the app, the overall figure is 300 million registered users, according to Kik user statistics. 7.2 of the 15 million active monthly users are from America.
2. The Average Age Group Actively Using Kik the Most at 70% Falls Between 13 and 24 Years Old.
Looking at this Kik user stat means that around three quarters of its users are between 13 and 24 years old.
It’s the most popular among teenagers residing in the US. They use it to message friends on the app.
3. Its Active Users Spend an Average of 36.5 Hours on The App per Month, One Hour per Day, and 2.24 Minutes per Session.
The Kik messaging app is getting a lot of use, according to these kinds of numbers.
Based on the fact that most of its users are teenagers, that may not come as a big surprise since teens have always loved to communicate.
4. 48% of America’s Young People Access the Mobile App Monthly.
America’s youth seems to love the Kik app. Statistics show that 48% of them are using this app on a monthly basis.
Statistics like these are very helpful to marketers, brands, businesses, and influencers.
5. Kik Is Currently Experiencing Over 1 Million Downloads Each Month.
With data privacy becoming more important in today’s world of technology, Kik has managed to position itself as an effective alternative to Facebook (Meta) Messenger and WhatsApp.
Kik is already proving its high retention rates among American youth.
6. 2.5 Million of Kik’s Global Users Are Actively Engaging on The App Daily.
It’s one thing to have 300 million registered users and over 15 million active users on a messaging platform, but to have 2.5 million users across the planet interacting via Kik daily is a major statistic.
This Kik user statistic shows that people logging into the Kik messaging app each day are contributing to its credibility and is being attributed to those who have decided it’s their favorite messaging platform.
7. Kik Has More than 300 Million Registered Users Across the Globe.
While Kik has a ways to go to catch up to WhatsApp and Facebook (Meta) Messenger, it’s making a big splash over a short period of time with 10 times the users since 2012.
Looking at the figures based on Kik’s daily and monthly users, it’s a matter of time before this app takes over other messaging apps.
8. Kik User Statistics Report that The Number of Registered Users of The App Grew Between 30 Million in 2012 to 300 Million by 2016.
After learning that Kik has over 300 million registered users today all over the world, the growth shows more interest in its anonymity and privacy options.
This could be the unique factor that boosts Kik into the top five messaging apps in the near future.
9. Kik Has Reached the Top Ten Among Messaging Apps with Teenagers in America.
The Kik messaging app is already amongst the top ten of all apps with teens in America, which is why we think it could reach the top five in just a few years.
Read that again, it’s not just in the top ten of messaging apps, but of all apps that teens use.
10. Well-Known Brands Like Sephora and Shopify Have Already Begun to Take Advantage of Kik to Connect with American Teens for Increasing Brand Awareness and Sales.
Brands like Shopify and Sephora have already recognized the usefulness of Kik for reaching the 13 to 24-year old demographic, but specifically teens.
Since Kik has become a major choice among American teens, brands and businesses have an amazing opportunity to engage with this demographic to improve brand awareness and sales among teens.
11. Kik Reached Number 8 as The Most Popular Messaging App in America.
By September 2019, Kik made the top 8 of the most popular messaging apps in America as ranked among active users.
It also made 11th place in the most popular mobile social networking mobile apps in America as ranked by the average session length.
We know that Kik has a large following among its American users.
Kik was founded in Canada, but it promptly achieved attention in America, ranking among the top 10 of all apps among the country’s teenagers.
It was obviously adopted quickly in the US.
What Do Kik Users Send In the Kik App?
When you think of messenger apps, you may think about text messaging. That’s a popular train of thought, but Kik users do more than send texts through this app.
Let’s look at what kind of content Kik users send according to Kik statistics.
12. More than 6 Million Emojis Are Sent in The Kik App Every Day.
While teens aren’t the only age group that loves to use emojis, they are the largest group of emoji users.
After all, emojis make messages more fun and exciting, right? Emojis allow them to show their emotions quickly at a given time.
13. Kik User Statistics Show that Over 5 Million Text Messages Are Sent Through the App per Day.
The primary use of all messaging apps and platforms is to use texts to communicate, and Kik is no exception. Kik users send more than 5 million texts per day to other users.
As we discussed before, brands and businesses are also using text messages (bots) in Kik to interact with and communicate with younger target audiences.
These messaging bots use sophisticated artificial intelligence (AI) to engage through intelligent responses, making for a fun and interesting experience for Kik users.
14. Memes and Multimedia Messages Are Often Used in Kik Messages.
There is no data related to how many multimedia messages are sent via Kik each day, but we know that this is a big part of how teens use Kik messaging.
Several users claim to send photos, videos, GIFs, and funny and trending memes to others on Kik.
What Activities Do Kik Users Engage In?
So, we know that the primary use for Kik messaging is for text messages, there are more uses for it besides sending texts to friends and family.
Let’s look at the other uses for Kik messaging.
15. Messaging Friends Is the Most Popular Use of Kik
Straight away, we will confirm that sending messages to friends is the most popular use for the Kik app.
One thing that makes this such a popular thing on Kik is that it only requires an email address for signing up, and no further identification is needed.
It takes just a couple of minutes to start chatting with friends and family on Kik.
16. Between 18 and 24 Year Olds, Dating Is One of The Uses for Kik.
There is a growing database of users between 18 and 24 who are using the app for potential future dating.
Kik offers groups you can join where you can find like-minded people that drive this activity on the messaging app, according to Kik statistics.
17. One Concerning Usage of Kik Is for Chatting with Strangers.
Due to Kik’s privacy and anonymity, it’s appealing for chatting with complete strangers, which is also a concerning use for the app.
Kik users can chat with people they don’t know and have never met.
You get a message from the Kik team soon after you sign up to use it. This message offers you an opportunity to explore their public groups that are based on interests.
When you find a group that interests you, you can easily get in on the conversation.
If you somehow need a specific person you might want to communicate with beyond the group, you can message them and they can message you.
Once a request for a message is accepted, chatting can commence.
Facebook (Meta) Messenger allows for the same thing, but Kik makes it easier but also promotes anonymity. Whether that’s cool or concerning is up to you.
18. According to Kik User Statistics, Kik Allows Brands to Contact Other Kik Users.
The younger target market is starting to grow up and they are making online purchases every day.
They are also potential new loyal customers going into the growth of the new generation. This makes them prime targets for brands.
Kik offers brands a method of engagement with the younger audiences, and they are loving it. Kik users are now messaging their favorite brands right through Kik.
Some of the activities brands and businesses are using include customer service options, surveys, competitions, engaging experiences, offering valuable content to the younger crowd via messaging, etc.
Some brands have started integrating their checkout processing systems to make purchasing from friend’s messages about a new product easy.
How Long Do Users Stay On Kik?
It’s not just important to know how many people use Kik messenger. It’s also important to know how long people use the messaging app.
Let’s discuss the Kik user statistics regarding time spent on the app.
19. Most of Kik’s Teen Users Spend an Average of About 2,200 Minutes Each Month on The App, According to Kik User Statistics.
As mentioned at the beginning of the article, this accounts for 36.5 hours per month spent on Kik sending messages.
20. 74 Minutes per Day Is the Average Total Amount of Time Spent on The App by Teens.
The overall average Kik user spends an average of about one hour per day on the platform.
As this user base grows, the amount of time spent per day on the app is expected to increase.
What Should You Know Before Adding Kik to Your Marketing Strategy?
Clearly Kik is gradually growing its user base more quickly than ever.
The most interesting aspect of Kik’s user base is that its users are some of the most engaged of those who use it regularly.
Is Kik really substantial enough for businesses to use it as part of their marketing strategy?
Already, brands have started to include Kik into their overarching marketing strategies.
Let’s see what the Kik user statistics show about that.
21. In Its First Month, Kik Crushed Records with More than 1 Million Registrations Within Its First 15 Days of Its 2010 Launch.
When a new app gets more than 1 million registered users in its first month, much less its first 15 days, it’s a huge deal. People take notice of that, as do competitors.
Kik is unique in that it goes beyond the standards of user privacy than other apps do, including those you pay a subscription fee to use.
This has attracted a wide array of people, and particularly teenagers.
22. Kik Has Experienced Six Rounds of Funding, Raising $215.8 Million from Company Investors.
You read that correctly. Kik’s user base isn’t the only solid aspect of this company.
Kik user statistics revealed that companies from all over the globe have invested millions in Kik over the past decade.
23. In 2019, Media Lab Bought Kik to Prevent Its Closure.
Even though Kik was off to an amazing start, in 2019, the CEO publicly announced that Kik would be shut down on October 19, 2019.
Just weeks before this date, US Company MediaLab made a move and now owns Kik.
The amount at which they bought Kik is not public record. MediaLab is a widely known company that purchases high-quality apps to boost them to successful heights.
MediaLab also has all the technology and resources needed to consistently improve on the Kik app.
Within only a few weeks of their purchase of Kik, the app was updated, and patches were created to improve the user experience.
Has Kik continued to grow since the takeover in 2019? If you look at the Kik user statistics, yes, it has. This is obvious by its over 1 million monthly downloads.
What are the Best Target Markets On Kik?
If you’re thinking about using Kik for your business or brand, you need to realize that the audience comes mostly from 13 to 24 year olds, which are its most active users.
We mentioned that 70% of all its users are between 13 and 29 years old.
Let’s discuss how you can reach out to this audience using Kik. We will look at Kik user statistics and case studies.
24. Shopify Uses Messenger Bots.
If you want to be successful on Kik, you need to know what successful brands are doing. Shopify engages through engaging messenger bots.
These bots are specifically designed for teens looking to find the perfect gift for family and friends.
The Kik user fills out a short questionnaire and the bot makes product recommendations for them supporting Shopify store owners.
25. Sephora Promotes Engaging and Valuable Content for Teens and Young People.
Sephora takes the approach of sharing content through live videos, articles, and tutorials.
This has been quite successful for this brand by promoting genuine engagements from Kik’s teen audience.
Their “Prom campaign” has been the most successful of campaigns for the brand. It was targeted towards engagement surrounding beauty for Prom night, which is a common event among teens every year.
Sephora engaged thousands of Kik users and put their products in a good position for Prom night beauty.
It’s obvious that Kik is growing by leaps and bounds, which is likely due to its anonymity and privacy aspects.
It’s expected to reach bigger heights, potentially overtaking Facebook (Meta) Messenger and WhatsApp both.
Kik user statistics have shown that its user base is quite loyal and highly engaging.
Since the younger crowd can be challenging to reach out to, Kik provides a way to engage through meaningful conversations and interactive content.
Some small and big brands are already finding success with Kik and attracting its younger audience.
It’s worth keeping your eyes on now and in the future. You never know how the user base will grow and change over the course of the next decade.
If you’re seeking a new avenue for reaching the younger crowd, Kik is worth trying.