Is your Opera VPN unable to connect to the network or does it show the temporarily unavailable message? If yes, then this article is for you as here you can get to know how to resolve such issues related to your Opera VPN.
Opera is one of the few internet browsers that has the feature of a free Virtual Private Network (VPN) service.
But, as many free services often have, the Opera VPN too has some drawbacks and issues. Therefore, it’s better to get a Premium VPN for a more advanced and safe VPN experience.
But, if you still want to use the Opera VPN, then don’t fret as we are here to solve your issues related to it so you can just enjoy its benefits.
There can be several reasons due to which your Opera VPN might not work properly.
Below, we have mentioned some fixes and techniques to make your Opera VPN run smoothly so that you can browse without any hassles.
Turn Opera VPN Off then On
This is a simple method that you should try before others. Sometimes, quick fixes like these work instantly.
You just have to follow these steps:
- Click on the icon of VPN that you see within your Opera browser at the top left-hand side
- Then, switch off this icon for nearly 10 seconds
- After this, turn it on again
- Now, start your Opera browser again or refresh it for the changes to take place
Update Your Opera Browser
If the first solution doesn’t work, you can try this one. You should frequently check that your Opera browser is updated.
This is because the latest modifications and repairs done by the developers do not run on an outdated browser version. Therefore, you must check the Opera browser for any available updates.
For this, do as follows:
- Hit the icon of menu on Opera, which is displayed at the top left-hand side
- There, click on the option of ‘About Opera,’ which will prompt the browser to check for any existing system updates
- In case there are any updates, then Opera will download and set these up automatically
- Then, open your Opera browser again or refresh it in order to let the changes work
Clear the Cache of Your Opera Browser
The third solution is to clear your Opera browser’s cache. This will help you fix the functioning of your VPN service as well as other problems in your browser.
You can clean your browser’s cache by following the steps mentioned below:
- First, visit the history tab
- There, you can see the time option saying ‘Obliterate the following items from;’ here, you have to click on the drop-down menu and select ‘Beginning of time’
- Then, you have to check the box saying ‘Cached images and files’
- After this, click on the option of ‘Clear browsing data’
- Now, start Opera again or refresh it for the changes to take place
Disable Extensions in Your Opera Browser
A few recently installed extensions might not support the Opera VPN, due to which it might be acting up.
In order to see if this is the issue, you have to temporarily stop the extensions. You need to do as follows to disable your Opera extensions:
- First, click on the icon of Menu within the Opera browser, which is displayed at the top left-hand side of the screen
- Then, hit the ‘Extensions’ option
- Click on ‘Enabled’ in order to see the list of extensions that have been set up on your Opera browser
- Then, disable all the extensions that you see
- After this, restart or refresh your Opera browser in order to allow the changes to take place
Disable Your Antivirus
Anti-virus software can also cause a glitch in third-party apps as well as in-built features, such as the Opera VPN. Therefore, you can disable the anti-virus program for a while in order to see if this resolves the Opera VPN issue.
In order to do so, follow these steps:
- Visit the anti-virus’s homepage
- Then, go to the option of ‘Settings’
- Here, click on the ‘Disable’ option or any other option that you see in order to turn the anti-virus off
- Then, open your Opera browser again or refresh it for the adjustments to work
Include Opera VPN in the Antivirus Whitelist
You can also whitelist your Opera VPN rather than disabling your anti-virus software temporarily. For this, you have to put the VPN to the list of ‘Exceptions’ you see within the anti-virus program.
This will, in turn, stop the anti-virus software from blocking and ceasing the functioning of your Opera VPN.
A lot of anti-virus programs block anonymous third-party applications owing to their security features.
This could be one of the reasons behind your Opera not functioning properly. You can add your Opera VPN to the whitelist of your anti-virus software by following these steps:
- Visit the home page of the anti-virus software
- Go to the option of ‘Settings’
- Now, check for an option similar to ‘Whitelist,’ ‘Exclusion,’ or ‘Exception’ as per the type of anti-virus program you are using; click on this option
- After this, add the ‘https://www.operavpn.com’ URL to the list you see on your screen
- Start your Opera browser again or refresh it in order to make the modifications work
Disable Your Windows Firewall
The Windows Firewall too can block anonymous third-party applications, such as Opera VPN, in order to safeguard the end-user from potential security threats.
This can make your Opera VPN malfunction. For disabling the Windows Firewall, you have to do as follows:
- First, go to the ‘Control Panel’ and then to the ‘System and Security’ tab
- On the menu provided on the left-hand side, you need to turn off the ‘Windows Defender Firewall’ option for both Public and Private network settings
- Now, close the window of ‘Control Panel’ and then refresh your computer for the changes to take place
- Start your Opera browser again
Enable Optimal Location on Opera VPN
You need to check if the Opera VPN you are using has been set to ‘Optimal Location,’ otherwise, it might cause the app to malfunction. You can enable this setting on your Opera VPN by following these steps:
- Click on the icon of VPN within Opera, which is displayed at the top left-hand side
- Then, check the box that is titled ‘Optimal Location’
- Reopen or refresh your Opera browser in order to let the adjustments work
Out of these many solutions, one of them will definitely fix the malfunctioning of your Opera VPN.
In case these fixes don’t work, you can download and install some other free VPN service. Or else, you can buy a premium VPN, which is a better option.