If you’re reading this then you’re wondering how to find router IP address.
It’s worth knowing, especially once you understand what the IP address is and the risks associated with it.
Your IP address is unique. It’s best described as a series of numbers, these are divided into four sections, each group separated by a point.
It’s worth noting that this is the readable version of your IP address.
The latest version of IP addresses uses the protocol IPV6 which uses 128 bits to create an IP address.
To the computer, it looks more complicated. IP addresses are managed globally by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.
Of course, with the increased number of internet users and connected devices, the array of possible combinations for IP addresses has been exhausted.
Your IP address is assigned by a network administrator. There are two options:
Static IP addresses are manually assigned to a device. These do not change unless they are physically adjusted and reassigned.
In contrast, a dynamic IP address is assigned every time the device needs an IP address. It’s not always the exact same number.
You should note, IP addresses are designed to ensure the internet provider knows what device you are using and where you are located within the network.
In short, it’s possible to work out a geographical location from an IP address.
The Public Facing IP Address
Your home network will have at least two IP addresses. The first one is the outer IP address, also known as the public-facing IP address.
This is the router’s IP address and represents its connection to the internet.
This IP address is presented as a number which allows the router to be identified in much the same way as a house number on any street.
Internally, you’ll have one or more IP addresses that are assigned to any device that is connected to your network.
These allow you to identify the exact device accessing the internet. It can be helpful when identifying an issue or allows software to be downloaded to a specific device.
In effect, the internal IP addresses ensure the network knows a device is authorised to access the router, it then allows the device access to the internet through the public-facing IP address.
If you want to know how to find a router’s public IP address then try this:
- Search online for a dedicated IP-checking site
- Follow the instructions on the site
- It will identify your IP address and tell you if it’s private or not
If you’ve followed the guidelines below and know your IP address you can head straight to the administration page of your router and check your public Ip address.
Doing this allows you to see several useful facts about your connection to the internet.
How To Find Router IP Address Based On Device
There are several reasons why you may wish to locate your router IP address. The most obvious is to know what it is and what others can tell about you from it.
You may find a sticker attached to your router that tells you the default IP gateway.
You can type this into an open internet page and you’ll gain access to your router.
Of course, you’ll need a login name and password which should also be written on the router.
It is a good idea to change the login and password to protect yourself from hackers.
If you can’t see the router IP address on your router, you’ll be able to find it through one of the following methods.
It’s different depending on what device you have.
The simplest way to find an IP address on a Windows computer is by using the command prompt.
- Look in the bottom left of your screen for a search bar – identifiable via the magnifying glass
- Type ‘cmd’ into the search box
- A window will appear, all black with a few lines of writing at the top, the bottom line should be ‘C:\users\your user name>’
- After this type ‘ipconfig’
- After a moment a list of information will appear
- Scroll down to find the default gateway. This is your router address
- There is another way of finding your router IP address on a Windows computer:
- In the same search bar at the bottom left of your screen, type ‘control panel’
- You’ll be presented with a list of options, click the control panel link. It will open a new window for the control panel
- Look for the network and internet option and click on the ‘view network status and tasks’ underneath it
- In the window you’ll see your network name, (the SSID), and a clickable link. Select it
- You’ll see several interesting facts in a new pop-up window. Select the details option
- In the list that appears you’ll see the default gateway. It’s likely to be the same as the DHCP and DNS server
Your android phone can also help you to find your router IP address.
- Enter the settings menu on the phone
- Find the network and internet option and select it
- You’ll see a list of networks, select yours. That’s the one you’re connected to
- Tap your network
- You’ll see a variety of information, select the advanced options at the bottom of the page
- Scroll further down through the advanced options and you’ll see the IP address of your Android phone and the router IP address.
If you’re using a Mac-based system then try this:
- Select the image of an Apple at the top of your screen
- Choose the system preferences
- Touch the network option
- Find your network in the list and tap it
- Now choose the advanced option
- Several tabs will appear, choose the one that says ‘TCP/IP’
- More information will appear, and your router IP address will be displayed under the router setting
If you’re using an iPhone or even an iPad, then you can still find your router IP address. It’s just slightly different to on your Mac.
- Find your settings icon, it should look like a cog
- Choose this and then find the wi-fi option
- Your wi-fi network will be displayed, along with any others in the vicinity
- Select your connection and check the list that appears, you’ll see your router IP address listed next to the router option
It’s surprisingly easy to find a router IP address on a Linux-based system.
- Find the notifications area on your screen
- Select the icon that represents your network connections
- A list will pop up – choose the network settings option, this can sometimes be called connection information
- In the list that appears you’ll find several useful pieces of information, including the router IP address. It should be listed under default gateway, although it may say router
6. Chrome OS
Chrome OS was launched by Google and is aimed at people who mainly use web apps on their computers. It’s a crossover between a smartphone and a computer.
If you’re using this system and want to know how to find router IP address then do this:
- Look at the bottom right of your screen and you’ll see the standard notification bar. This gives you instant access to the most relevant information
- Choose your current wi-fi network – it should be the one you’re already connected to
- A small window will appear on your screen with several options, select the one called ‘network’
- There will then be a list of information regarding your network. Look for where it says ‘gateway’ and your router IP address will be listed next to it
Resetting A Router To Change Your IP Address
Your IP address allows your internet provider to verify that your connection is genuine, what type of devices you are running, and it tells them your location.
While your IP provider should keep this information secret, this isn’t always the case. Additionally, hackers and cybercriminals can break into networks.
If this happens they can trace your connection backwards and find your IP address, location, and potentially even hack into your system.
They will certainly access any information you send via your network.
Changing your IP address regularly can help to prevent cybercriminals from accessing too much information.
However, you need to know how to change your IP address on your router.
It’s important to note that simply turning it off and straight back on, or using the reset option, is not enough. The router will keep its current IP address.
To get a different one you need to turn it off and keep it off for 3-5 minutes. It’s even better if you turn it off and keep it off all night.
This will certainly change your IP address and make it harder for anyone to access your information.
How To Protect Your IP Address
While turning it off for several minutes can be effective if a network has been hacked it will only cause the hackers an issue for a few minutes.
They will still be collecting your information.
Fortunately, there is a better way to change your public IP address and make it almost impossible for cybercriminals to obtain your information.
The secret is to use a VPN.
A VPN will hide your IP address and you can even choose your geographic location, making it impossible for anyone to know where you actually are.
Alongside this, a good VPN will encrypt your data, ensuring only you and the intended receiver can read it.
There are free VPNs available. However, it’s generally best to pay for the service.
The best option is NordVPN, the cost is minimal per month and you’ll get the best possible protection.
The good thing is that your selected VPN will protect multiple devices, ensuring everyone on your network is protected from cybercriminals.
It will even make it impossible for others to use your wi-fi connection without your authorisation.
Best of all, the monthly payment can be automated and, once you’ve installed and activated the VPN, it will run all the time.
Of course, as an added bonus, you’ll be able to access public wi-fi spots safely with your VPN.
- NordVPN is the industry leader (by a long way)
- 30-day risk-free trial
- Superfast speeds
- 5,442+ servers in 60+ countries
- Strict no-logs policy
- Next-generation military-grade encryption
- DoubleVPN, double privacy
- 6 simultaneous device connections
- Great for: Safety, security, anonymity & peace of mind
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad & iOS, Linux, routers, Apple TV, FireFox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and more
If you want to improve your privacy online you need a VPN. To set up your VPN you need your router IP address.
Fortunately, you don’t need to ask how to find router IP address because you’ve read this guide and know how to!
There are other reasons why you would need to know a router’s IP address, such as accessing your connection details and establishing the right security protocols.
It also helps you allow remote connection when necessary for troubleshooting. In short, everyone should know how to find the IP address of their router.
You need to read and understand this guide before sharing it with others. It benefits everyone.