Quick Answer 🔍How many people use TikTok in 2023?
TikTok has amassed more than 1 billion monthly active users across the 150 countries where it’s available.
TikTok was launched in 2016 by ByteDance, a Chinese startup company.
Its substantial growth started in the last quarter of 2017, which is just after the company acquired Musical.ly, a rival app.
Over 200 million users were imported to TikTik due to that purchase alone.
So, how many users does TikTok have now?
The quick answer: over 1 billion people use TikTok every month.
Since 2016, TikTok has now experienced more than 3 billion downloads and makes up about one-third of all social media users in the world.
All this in under five years of its launch. Granted, 200 million were imported from the former Musical.ly app acquisition, but that doesn’t take away from TikTok’s extreme growth since 2017.
In the following article, we will cover TikTok users, demographics and other related information especially vital to marketers, brands, and businesses.
Let’s get started.
TikTok Users: How Many People Use TikTok in 2023?
Worldwide, TikTok has amassed more than 1 billion monthly active users across the 150 countries where it’s available.
TikTok is currently one of the fastest-growing of all social media mobile apps.
TikTok’s audience is mostly among younger internet users.
After looking at how many people use TikTok in America, that country seems to have the most TikTok users.
In comparison, Facebook (Meta) has 2.9 billion active monthly users, YouTube has 2.2 billion active monthly users, and Instagram has nearly 1.4 billion active monthly users.
What is TikTok?
Now that we have answered the topic question, we will get on with what it is and other aspects of this social media app that seems to get so much attention to the planet’s youth.
Basically, TikTok is a short-form video sharing mobile app that lets its users create and share 15-second entertaining videos across topics.
While this social media giant keeps its entity separate from the Chinese market where it’s known as Douyin, the logo is essentially a combo of the Douyin and Musical.ly logos.
Douyin, has more than 300 million users, which are not included in TikTok’s figures.
The main difference between TikTok and Musical.ly is that it allows for a wider array of videos and not just lip syncing.
The TikTok app has a large range of song snippets, sounds, filters, and special effects its users utilize when creating videos from their smartphones.
The TikTok app itself is marketed as a video sharing social network.
Its users create dance videos, funny videos, challenge videos, magic trick videos, marketing videos, and more.
TikTok Users by Country
The following accounts for the top 10 countries of 150 that have millions of active users over the age of 18 on the TikTok app.
1. The United States has the most TikTok users at 131 million.
2. Indonesia TikTok users 18 and above account for 92.1 million users.
3. In Brazil, there are 74.1 million users over 18.
4. The Russian Federation figures for TikTok users over 18 is at 54.9 million.
5. Mexico’s users that are 18 and older account for 46 million.
6. There are 39.9 million active TikTok users in Vietnam over the age of 18.
7. In the Philippines, 36 million people over 18 use TikTok.
8. TikTok’s active users over 18 years old in Thailand account for 35.8 million users.
9. The 18 and over crowd in Turkey makes up 26.6 million active TikTok users.
10. 22.4 million active TikTok users 18 and over use this app in Saudi Arabia.
If you’re a marketer, business, or brand, these demographics will be of special interest to you.
You need this data to create an effective and successful marketing strategy on the TikTok platform. Here we go.
Females use TikTok more than males across the globe.
- 57% are female
- 43% are male
While the range of age groups goes from a bit under 18 all the way to nearly 60 years old, we are discussing the age groups in terms of marketing, so we will use the 18 to 55 and above demographics.
- 18-24: 386.6 million users, or 43.7% of all TikTok’s user base (ad audience)
- 25-34: 282 million users, or 31.9% of all TikTok’s user base (ad audience)
- 35-44: 115.5 million users, or 13% of all TikTok’s user base (ad audience)
- 45-54″ 57.1 million users, or 6.4% of all TikTok’s user base (ad audience)
- 55+: 30.5 million users, or 3.4% of all TikTok’s user base (ad audience)
Below is a representation of the ad audience reach for TikTok as of January 2022. All of these are for users 18 years old and above.
- Northern America: 142.2 million
- Central America: 46 million
- South America: 119.8 million
- Northern Europe: 30.3 million
- Southern Europe: 32.2 million
- Western Europe: 45.7 million
- Northern Africa: 26.3 million
- Southern Africa: 6.4 million
- Central Asia: 7.3 million
- Southern Asia: 18.3 million
- Eastern Asia: 24.2 million
- Western Asia: 64.4 million
- Oceania: 8.8 million
Remember, this is the size of the ad audiences in these regions for marketers.
Interesting TikTok Facts
It’s hard to discuss TikTok users data without getting into some of the more interesting facts and stats about the app.
TikTok has now been downloaded 3 billion times.
It generated a revenue of around $4.6 billion in 2021, which is a 142% increase year-over-year.
This data is the newest available online, but as fast as this platform grows, the figures are likely to rapidly change over weeks, months, and years.
Now you know enough about TikTok‘s monthly active users in 2023 to boost your social media marketing strategy accordingly.