Quick Answer 🔍How many iPhones are there in 2023?
There are now more than 1.2 billion active iPhones today.
How many iPhones are there in 2023?
iPhone is one of the first success stories of the 21st century. Since Steve Jobs unveiled Apple Inc’s first smartphone unit in 2007, iPhone’s yearly launch seemed to become a pop culture event that everyone anticipates.
In this article, we will provide details on how many iPhones are there, including a brief rundown on their evolution in the past fifteen (15) years.
Tune in until the end to learn interesting facts about this novel technology.
How Many iPhones are There in 2023?
Exactly how many iPhones are there in 2023? Today, there are 34 generations of iPhones in circulation.
This includes the iPhone 13 series which is the company’s latest release to date.
How Many iPhones are Actively Operating?
According to the company’s latest update on the first quarter of 2022, there are now more than 1.2 billion active iPhones today.
It accounts for more than half of the 1.8 billion active Apple devices as of this writing.
Total Number of iPhone Users from 2015 to 2021
iPhone users have undeniably grown in number since 2015. Even the pandemic failed to sour buyers’ sentiment on this novel gadget.
- 2015 – 569 million users
- 2016 – 710 million users
- 2017 – 814 million users
- 2018 – 888 million users
- 2019 – 948 million users
- 2020 – 1.0 billion users
- 2021 – 1.2 billion users
Global iPhone users crossed the 1.0 billion mark for the first time in 2020 and further extended the winning streak to 1.2 billion in 2021.
Active Apple Devices
Take a look at how many Apple devices are operating actively from 2016 to 2022:
- 2016 – 1.00 billion
- 2017 – 1.15 billion
- 2018 – 1.30 billion
- 2019 – 1.40 billion
- 2020 – 1.40 billion
- 2021 – 1.65 billion
- 2022 – 1.80 billion
The number of active Apple devices has sustained an upward trajectory from 2016 to the present.
This implies that aside from the growth of “upgraders” or the loyal iPhone users from the start, there are more “switchers” who have changed their devices from Android phones to iPhones during the period.
iOS Operating System Users
Here is the percentage of iOS operating system users in the world’s major markets:
- Japan – 63%
- United States – 59%
- United Kingdom – 45%
- Germany – 25%
- China – 20%
Globally, iOS holds 26.20% of the world’s total mobile operating system market.
It still lags behind Google’s Android OS but is nevertheless maintaining a stronghold of a significant fraction.
iPhone Models Throughout the Years
How many iPhones are there and what sets each one apart from another? As mentioned, Apple already launched 34 iPhone models so far.
It all started with the very first unit under the name “iPhone” which Steve Jobs unveiled in 2007. Below is a chronology of the iPhone’s evolution from 2007 until 2021.
- 2007 – iPhone. It came with a touchscreen interface and a choice between a 4GB or an 8GB storage unit.
- 2008 – iPhone 3G. Has a GPS feature and higher storage capacities of 8GB and 16GB.
- 2009 – iPhone 3GS. Known as a faster version of the previous two models and comes with a 32GB model.
- 2010 – iPhone 4. It is the first generation of iPhones equipped with FaceTime video chat and has an improved graphics quality.
- 2011 – iPhone 4S. For the first time, a 64 GB iPhone model was introduced.
Fall Event Era
- 2012 – iPhone 5. This is the start of the era where iPhones are unveiled every fall, usually in September of every year. The iPhone 5 is a slicker and faster version of previous units.
- 2013 – iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C. In 2013, Apple started releasing different versions of iPhones under the same model.
- 2014 – iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+. Both units are equipped with a touch ID and a digital wallet feature through Apple Pay.
- 2015 – iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S+. Features faster connectivity for both WiFi and LTE.
The Era of Water-resistant iPhones
- 2016 – iPhone 7 and iPhone 7+. The first batch of water-resistant iPhones. Both models came with improved cameras versus their predecessors, with storage capacity raised to 256 GB.
- 2017 – iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Apple used the most durable glass ever used for smartphones and opted for a design that is reminiscent of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.
- 2018 – iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max. iPhone X is the first among Apple’s smartphone line to retail for thousand dollars. Its basic version came at $999 upon launch and revolutionized the Face ID feature. iPhone XR came at a lower price point, starting at $749. Meanwhile, the iPhone XS and XS Max are now scratch-proof, aside from being water-resistant.
- 2019 – iPhone 11, iPhone Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Apple reverted prices to $699 for iPhone 11’s 64 GB model and also brought back colored cases reminiscent of iPhone 5C. The Pro and Pro Max versions are fast-charging and have slow-mo camera features.
The 5G Era
- 2020 – iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. These are one of the biggest-sized iPhones, with the Pro Max extending to 6.7 inches. For the first time, Apple introduced 5G-powered iPhones.
- 2021 – iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max. The latest launch features units that have extended battery lives, with 1.5 hours to 1.5 hours longer compared to previous versions. The premium unit comes with a 1 terabyte storage capacity.
Why Do People Buy iPhones?
How many iPhones are there in 2021 shows the world’s sustained confidence in the quality of Apple products.
First of all–the quality of the iPhone camera. As they say, nothing can beat Apple in the camera department as they always produce the best-quality photos compared to competitors.
Aside from this, it has a wide variety of features and built-in applications that could enhance one’s productivity and professional life.
Lastly, there is top-notch security. iPhones are almost impenetrable from viruses and malware which ensures user information’s safety at all times.
There are a lot of reasons why Apple Inc’s iPhone maintained a spot among the best smartphones available in the market.
Today, more than 1.2 billion people actively use iPhones as partners for their daily tasks.
We hope we provided you with a detailed answer to the question “how many iPhones are there in 2023?”.
Billions of people have put their trust in the brand due to the reputation it solidified in the last fifteen years of being in the smartphone business.