Quick Answer 🔍How many people use Xbox in 2023?
100 million gamers use Xbox.
Let’s find out how many people use Xbox in 2023.
Playing on gaming consoles is not dead. On the contrary, Xbox’s fiscal year 2021 revenue is proving that the business is thriving and raking millions of cash.
There is a noticeable shift in consumer preference when it comes to the platforms used for gaming.
Billions of people are drawn into using their mobile phones when engaging in this type of activity.
But this does not mean everyone is jumping into this trend.
There are a ton of avid gamers that are willing to spend their moolah to get a console. It’s always about quality, yah know?
How Many People Use Xbox in 2023?
Exactly how many people use Xbox in 2023?
There are 2.8 billion gamers around the world and 100 million of which are using Xbox .
This number was released in 2020 and Microsoft has not made any updates since.
For those who are saying Xbox has lost its appeal, think again. There are still millions of people who are willing to pay a considerable amount of cash to get a console.
The reason for this? Quality. Nothing beats the quality of a dedicated gaming device.
Microsoft updated having sold 50 million Xbox One consoles from the unit’s launch in November 2013 until November 2020. And we are in the middle of the mobile gaming era.
This says so much about its timeless appeal, which can be traced all the way back to Microsoft’s first attempt to capture a share in the console gaming market in 2001.
Xbox’s Monthly Active Users from 2016 to 2020
2020 was indeed a record-breaking year for Xbox. It is for the first time Microsoft hit the hundred million user count mark under its gaming department.
Take a look at the progress of Microsoft’s Xbox Live users over the years.
- 2016 – there were 49 million Xbox users by the end of the year
- 2017 – there were 53 million Xbox users by the end of the year
- 2018 – there were 57 million Xbox users by the end of the year
- 2019 – there were 65 million Xbox users by the end of the year
- 2020 – there were 100 million Xbox users by the end of the year
The period covering 2016 to 2019 was a difficult time for Microsoft as Xbox’s fanbase trickled during those years.
All thanks to the imposition of lockdowns and mobility restrictions, gamers rediscovered the good old way of video gaming.
Xbox users ballooned from 65 million at the end of 2019 to 90 million in April 2020. The positive momentum continued through the end of the year when the Xbox user count hit 100 million for the first time.
Xbox Over the Years
Four Xbox categories have been released so far. Each carries different new features which are upgrades from earlier versions.
The Xbox gaming console is Microsoft’s first foray into the video gaming business.
This flagship unit was released in November 2001 and has popularized a game called Grand Theft Auto which enjoyed international success.
It sold 24 million units by the end of May 2006, which is the year following Xbox 360’s release.
In November 2005, Microsoft released the first upgraded version of Xbox called “Xbox 360.”
It is in direct response to the increasing popularity of physical motion games which have been dominated by Nintendo’s Wii.
It came with an option to play with Xbox Kinect which allows users to play the motion-sensitive game “Just Dance” without the help of a controller like in Wii.
The Xbox 360 sold a total of 86 million units in October of 2021.
Here are Xbox 360’s units sold over the years:
- 2005 – 1.18 million units sold
- 2006 – 6.8 million units sold
- 2007 – 7.88 million units sold
- 2008 – 10.91 million units sold
- 2009 – 10.16 million units sold
- 2010 – 13.25 million units sold
- 2011 – 13.81 million units sold
- 2012 – 10.68 million units sold
- 2013 – 6.24 million units sold
- 2014 – 2.6 million units sold
- 2015 – 930,000 units sold
Eight years after Xbox 360, Microsoft launched Xbox one on the market.
For the first time, the company offered a Game Pass which will allow users to access many of its homegrown video games for a monthly subscription.
Xbox One came with two versions Xbox One S and Xbox One X. Overall, Xbox One’s lifetime unit sales are so far at 51 million.
Xbox One’s units sold over the years:
- 2013 – 3.08 million units sold
- 2014 – 7.91 million units sold
- 2015 – 8.63 million units sold
- 2016 – 8.37 million units sold
- 2017 – 7.64 million units sold
- 2018 – 6.87 million units sold
- 2019 – 5.12 million units sold
- 2020 – 3.14 million units sold
- 2021 – 0.81 million units sold
The latest addition to the Xbox gaming console family is the Xbox Series. It had taken the world by storm since its launch in November of 2020.
Like its predecessor, the Xbox Series came with two different variants namely Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.
Both X and S units sold a combined number of close to 15 million as of June 2022.
Microsoft’s Gaming Revenue from 2017 to 2021
Microsoft’s gaming revenue had been steady over the years.
By steady we mean there was no significant increase nor fall in its Xbox sales, not until 2021 when it hit $15 billion in annual revenue.
Take a look at Microsoft’s gaming revenue in a five-year timeline, covering 2017 to 2021.
- 2017 – 9.0 billion in annual gaming revenue
- 2018 – 10.3 billion in annual gaming revenue
- 2019 – 11.3 billion in annual gaming revenue
- 2020 – 11.5 billion in annual gaming revenue
- 2021 – 15.3 billion in annual gaming revenue
Video Game Console Ownership Statistics in the United States
- All console owners from 2 years old and up – 162 million people
- All console owners from 18 years old to 99 years old – 115 million people
- Male console owners from 18 to 34 years old – 25.2 million people
- Female console owners from 18 to 34 years old – 21.2 million people
The number of people using Xbox recorded impressive growth from 2020 to 2021.
Users rediscovered the charm of using gaming consoles, which are characterized by their spectacular quality and enhanced user experience.
Today, over a hundred million people are using Xbox’s different variations including Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series.
Due to this, Microsoft became one of the biggest players in the gaming console market today.
Thank you for reading our article on how many people use Xbox in 2023.
|Video Games Chronicle||Computer Hope||WCCF Tech|
|Marketing Charts||Star Loop Studios|