The world of cybersecurity tools can be intricate.
What each tool achieves is not always transparent, mainly when a single company offers a diverse range of cybersecurity products.
Consider Nord Security, the overarching entity for both NordLayer and NordVPN.
Despite initial resemblances, these two services showcase distinct functionalities.
Let’s explore how NordLayer vs NordVPN delineates their differences and commonalities.
NordLayer vs NordVPN
What is NordLayer?
Before NordLayer, NordVPN Teams was a business-focused VPN introduced in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tailored initially for organizations, it featured a network administrator dashboard, transferable licenses, and centralized billing.
In 2021, NordVPN Teams rebranded as NordLayer, shifting towards the Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) framework focusing on Secure Service Edge (SSE) capabilities.
SSE combines technologies like FWaaS, SWG, and ZTNA into a unified, cloud-native service, aiming to provide advanced and accessible cybersecurity for organizations.
What is NordLayer Used For?
Businesses predominantly utilize NordLayer to enhance their adaptability and capabilities in responding to diverse cybersecurity threats.
As a result, its most prevalent applications encompass:
- Facilitating secure remote access for hybrid work: Post-pandemic, the shift in employee needs prompted network administrators to seek ways to ensure safe entry to internal company resources. NordLayer acts as a facilitator in establishing a secure tunnel into your company’s data.
- Securing employee internet access: While utilizing company resources, employees may inadvertently click on suspicious links, posing a threat to the organization. NordLayer employs various filters to restrict access to malicious links for your distributed workforce.
- Implementing bring your own device (BYOD) policies: Companies allowing users to connect their devices often struggle to establish a user-friendly baseline. With NordLayer requiring only the installation of an app, it simplifies the process for network administrators.
- Facilitating regulatory compliance pursuits: Certain industries face stringent regulations, especially concerning sensitive user data. NordLayer offers diverse functionalities that contribute to a robust cybersecurity environment, aiding in achieving regulatory compliance certification.
- Enhancing productivity: NordLayer boosts management productivity through features such as single invoicing, centralized policy enforcement, and user provisioning.
What is NordVPN?
On the flip side, NordVPN is exclusively tailored for the consumer market.
The platform manages extensive, internationally dispersed networks designed for anonymity, accessible through a subscription fee.
Upon logging in, users encounter a map displaying different countries and servers, enabling them to effortlessly navigate the globe, altering their IP and location with a simple click.
While certain users seek to enhance their cybersecurity through an encrypted connection, others utilize it primarily for streaming or overcoming censorship.
It serves as a straightforward, daily cybersecurity enhancement seamlessly integrated into your regular internet activities.
What is NordVPN Used For?
NordVPN primarily caters to a range of consumer-centric purposes, serving as a product designed with home users in mind.
Below are some key scenarios in which it is commonly applied:
- Ensuring secure Internet access: The VPN encrypts your connection, rendering it incomprehensible to both Internet Service Providers and potential hackers. This eliminates the risk of leaving identifiable breadcrumbs in your online activities.
- Enhancing public wifi security: Connecting to public wifi poses uncertainties about the network’s security. It allows hackers to intercept your connection and clandestinely steal your data. VPN connection encryption serves as a deterrent against such intrusion attempts.
- Capitalizing on better deals: Various regions offer diverse discounts and sales, and a VPN allows you to virtually change your location. This enables you to access better deals that may be region-locked.
- Safeguarding anonymity: VPN services refrain from collecting usage data passing through their servers, ensuring the privacy of your online activities.
- Bypassing censorship: In countries with stringent restrictions on free speech, a VPN becomes a tool to create openings in the digital barriers. The encrypted nature of VPN traffic makes it challenging to control, providing an unobstructed window to the free press.
Is NordLayer the Same as NordVPN?
Despite sharing numerous similarities and being products of the same parent company, NordSecurity, NordLayer, and NordVPN are markedly distinct services.
NordLayer, designed for businesses, specializes in network access security.
Administered by organizational network managers, it establishes secure remote access to work resources through dedicated servers and IP safe listing.
In contrast, NordVPN serves as a consumer-focused VPN service provider, enabling users to alter their location and IP address by connecting to a server fleet.
It functions as a tool for anonymity and cybersecurity, targeting home users.
While both services address cybersecurity concerns, their emphases differ significantly. NordLayer concentrates on enhancing business network cybersecurity, whereas NordVPN focuses on improving users’ internet experience and safety.
Their functionalities are entirely disparate.
While NordLayer can indeed serve as a reliable personal VPN, it comes with a plethora of features that might leave the average user scratching their head.
Primarily designed as a business VPN, it goes beyond the usual tasks like concealing your actual IP address.
Instead, it incorporates a range of features tailored for businesses, adding value that many companies will find genuinely beneficial. These encompass:
Enhanced Security Measures
Strengthened security protocols that go beyond the traditional login process.
This includes methods such as two-factor and multi-factor authentication, providing an extra layer of protection against unauthorized access.
Collaborative Network Access
Explanation: Access points that are shared among users, fostering collaboration and connectivity.
Shared Gateways facilitate a seamless and cooperative network experience, allowing multiple users to connect to the same access point.
Private Network Access Points
Dedicated access points within a virtual private network (VPN) that ensure a secure and private connection.
Virtual Private Gateways offer exclusive entry points for authorized users, enhancing privacy and data protection.
Customized IP Settings
The ability to establish a consistent and unchanging IP address (Fixed IP), coupled with the option to create a list of approved IPs (IP allowlisting).
This customization allows for specific control over network access and security settings.
Since its inception in 2012, NordVPN has consistently improved its performance, regularly introducing fresh enhancements.
As a result, it presents an expansive array of features, ensuring comprehensive protection.
Extensive VPN Server Network
NordVPN boasts a network of over 6000 servers spread across 61 countries.
This vast server infrastructure enhances the service’s reach and provides users with diverse connection options.
Diverse Tunneling Protocols
Utilizing cutting-edge tunneling protocols such as NordLynx, IKEv2/IPSec, and OpenVPN, NordVPN prioritizes flexibility and security in data transmission.
This diversity enables users to choose protocols based on their preferences and specific needs.
Rigorous Data Collection Policy
NordVPN adheres to a robust no-logs policy, independently audited to ensure user privacy.
This commitment means that the service does not collect user data, reinforcing a high standard of confidentiality and trust.
Comprehensive Online Protection
NordVPN goes beyond basic security measures by actively blocking malware, trackers, malicious sites, and ads.
This multi-layered approach fortifies online defense, creating a safer and more secure browsing environment for users.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is NordVPN The Same As NordLayer?
In September 2019, NordVPN introduced NordVPN Teams, a VPN tailored for small and medium businesses, freelancers, and remote teams requiring secure entry to work-related resources.
Fast forward two years, NordVPN Teams underwent a rebranding, transforming into NordLayer and shifting its focus towards SASE business solutions.
Is NordLayer VPN Safe?
NordLayer emerges as a trustworthy remote access remedy, originating from the expertise of Nord Security and the well-known consumer product NordVPN.
The driving force behind NordLayer’s development lies in the foundational principles of SASE (Secure Access Service Edge) and Zero Trust frameworks.
This solution brings forth SaaS (Software as a Service) security features, extending its protective measures to internet, network, and resource access control.
Can I Be Tracked if I Use NordVPN?
When employing a high-quality VPN with a stringent no-logs policy, your internet browsing and IP address remain untraceable to any third party.
Nevertheless, it’s important to note that if you engage in activities like logging into websites, using services, or utilizing apps on your device, certain information may still be subject to tracking.
With the rise in data breaches, there is a heightened interest in cybersecurity solutions for both businesses and individuals.
For those new to this field, it can be quite overwhelming, particularly when distinguishing between tools tailored for businesses, such as NordLayer, and those designed for consumers, like NordVPN.
NordLayer is dedicated to safeguarding the workforces and business data of its clients, while NordVPN places a greater emphasis on ensuring anonymity and flexibility in internet usage.
Although NordLayer incorporates features akin to NordVPN, such as Virtual Shared Gateways, mirroring their consumer product, these features aren’t the primary focus of the service.
In contrast, NordVPN offers a more extensive range of specialized features, focusing on bypassing censorship and identity protection.
NordLayer is a SaaS provider that focuses on network authorization and multiple account safety, whereas NordVPN provides an anonymity service for individual customers.