Quick Answer 🔍How many texts are sent per day in 2023?
Around 23 billion to 27 billion texts are sent per day all over the world.
Many people believe that communication builds good relationships. Whether we are near or far, we can stay connected and updated with our loved ones.
Through the use of our mobile devices, we can easily exchange messages.
Today, an estimated 7.3 billion people worldwide are mobile phone users, and about 5 billion of them send and receive text messages, equivalent to more than 68% of mobile users worldwide.
Are you one of the active text message senders and receivers and curious to know how many texts are sent per day in 2023?
This article is for you.
How Many Texts are Sent Per Day in 2023?
As we live in a digital world, we are becoming more attached to our mobile devices, personal computers, and other technologies.
Since we have these tools, we can easily reach out to our families and friends. One of the most popular types of communication channels today is text messaging.
About 62.5% of the world’s population send and receive text messages in 2023, equal to approximately 5 billion people.
If 5 billion people are sending and receiving text messages, how many texts are sent every day?
According to the most recent data, around 23 billion to 27 billion texts are sent per day all over the world.
This translates to 266,200 to 312,500 texts per second!
The Most Sent Text is ‘I Love You’
In the United States, people sent an estimated 2 trillion text messages in 2021.
While in the United Kingdom, there were around 40.86 billion sent text messages.
A study reveals that an average person sends approximately three texts per hour using his personal mobile phone, and the most sent text message is “I love you.”
How Many Text Messages Are Sent in the United States
The United States recorded around 302 million smartphone users in 2021, and these users sent an estimated 2 trillion text messages the whole year.
In the previous year, 2.2 trillion SMS and MMS messages in the country were sent.
According to a report, 81% of Americans send text messages regularly, and 97% send at least one text message per week.
Here is a list of the volume of text messages sent in the United States from 2005 to 2021:
- 81 billion text messages were sent in the United States in 2005
- 1.01 trillion text messages were sent in the United States in 2008
- 2.30 trillion text messages were sent in the United States in 2011
- 1.92 trillion text messages were sent in the United States in 2014
- 1.50 trillion text messages were sent in the United States in 2017
- 2.20 trillion text messages were sent in the United States in 2020
- 2.00 trillion text messages were sent in the United States in 2021
Number of Text Messages Sent in the United Kingdom
In 2019, 76% of people in the United Kingdom sent text messages per day. They sent over 65 billion text messages daily.
After a year, the volume of SMS and MMS messages decreased to less than 49%.
The decrease in the volume of sent SMS and MMS messages coincides with the popularity of WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
These messaging apps reduce the need for sending SMS messages.
Below are the numbers of text messages sent in the United Kingdom from 2009 to 2021:
- In 2009, there were 104.39 billion text messages sent in the United Kingdom
- In 2012, there were 150.83 billion text messages sent in the United Kingdom
- In 2015, there were 101.01 billion text messages sent in the United Kingdom
- In 2018, there were 74.11 billion text messages sent in the United Kingdom
- In 2021, there were 40.86 billion text messages sent in the United Kingdom
What Age Group Sends the Most Text Messages per Day?
Statistics show that Millennials are fond of texting.
Mobile users aged 18 to 24 send around 128 text messages per day, equivalent to nearly 4,000 texts per month.
While users aged 25 to 34 send around 75 texts per day.
For those users aged 35 to 44, they send an average of 52 text messages per day.
Users aged 45 to 54 send 33 text messages, and those aged 55 and above send 16.
How Long Do Students Spend on Texting per Day?
According to PsychCentral’s statistics, 6 out of 10 college students may be addicted to mobile devices.
They use their devices to communicate through text, emails, and social media. Aside from communication, they also listen to music and surf the net.
Texting is the most common activity college students do on their mobile phones.
They spend nearly 1.6 hours or 94.6 minutes per day, sending SMS and MMS messages, followed by sending emails, with 48.5 minutes.
Most Popular Messaging Apps
The leading messaging apps in 2023 are WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Telegram.
WhatsApp tops in 63 out of 100 countries, Facebook Messenger tops in 16 countries, and Telegram in 10 countries.
Here are the three most popular messaging apps in 2022, according to Similar Web:
- WhatsApp had nearly 135 billion monthly active users in 2022. 90.51% of its users are active daily
- Facebook Messenger had 763 million monthly active users in 2022. 53.03% of its users are active daily
- Telegram had nearly 413 million monthly active users in 2022. 47.50% of its users are active daily
Most Preferred Channels for Customer Support
In some countries like the US, Korea, Singapore, and India, text messaging is the most preferred channel for customer support.
In the US, 33% prefer text messaging for customer support, 46% in Korea, and 34% in Singapore and India.
Here are the most preferred channels for customer support in the US:
- 33% of customers prefer text messaging
- 24% of customers prefer sending email
- 27% of customers prefer a telephone call
- 7% of customers prefer face to face
- 6% of customers prefer a web live chat
- 4% of customers prefer other channels
Click-Through Rate for Text Messages
Out of all the communication channels, text messaging is one of the most popular and has the highest click-through and open rate.
In 2020, businesses and marketers sent 2.7 trillion text messages. 98% of sent text messages were opened, and 95% of received texts were responded to in three to five minutes.
Based on the data of SMS Comparison, 48% of consumers prefer receiving special offers through text messages.
The average click-through rate (CTR) for SMS marketing is 19.3%, compared to 4.2% CTR for email and 1% CTR for Facebook marketing.
Texting is one of the most popular ways of communication worldwide.
You have read above the number of people sending and receiving text messages and the number of texts sent per day.
Approximately 62.5% of the global population sent and received text messages in 2023, and over 23 billion texts were sent per day.
This is why businesses and marketers should know their audiences and when to send SMS marketing offers.