Quick Answer 🔍How many software engineers does Google have in 2022?
Google has 27,169 software engineers worldwide.
Google is a mammoth in the realm of technology, which is proven by the powerful impact it currently has on almost everyone’s lives.
Every day, 3 billion people using the internet regularly use Google for a variety of reasons. The search engine is only one of many products and services Google offers.
If you just look at your Google account, you will find assets like Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Calendar, Google Chat, Google Drive, e-Blogger, Maps, and more.
With only these assets, you can imagine how many software engineers are needed to manage it all.
How many software engineers does Google have is the topic of this article. You will also find out what other assets Google has besides its own brand assets.
When we say that Google is a mammoth in the technology realm, we aren’t overstating the fact.
Let’s look at some Google software engineer facts.
How Many Software Engineers Does Google Have?
Let’s go ahead and get the main answer out of the way. According to Daxx by Grid Dynamics, Google reports that it has 27,169 software engineers on staff across the globe and across departments.
This same website reports that there are a total of 26.9 million software developers all over the world working in various fields and at various companies. In 2018, there were 23 million to put the newest numbers in perspective.
Let’s dig a little deeper into the realm of Google software engineers.
How Many Software Engineers Does Google Have in Research and Development (R&D)?
Ohee.net reveals that as of May 2021, Google had 18,593 software engineers in its R&D department. These Google software engineers are likely making software in the R&D sections.
Google has operations in the United States, South America, Europe, Tel Aviv, India, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, and the Philippines.
The answer to how many software engineers does Google have in R&D includes the worldwide staff.
Also, Alphabet is Google’s parent company. According to Statista 2022, by the end of 2021, Alphabet employed 156,500 people worldwide.
In 2015, Google employed 61,814 people worldwide. This shows how much this company has grown and the impact it’s had on the labor market.
How Much Does a Google Software Engineer Make?
Besides answering the question about “how many software engineers does Google have”, we thought we would also cover some other statistics and numbers interrelated to the topic.
How much does a Google software engineer make? According to Glassdoor, the average base pay salary for a Google software engineer is $156.903 per year. This information is updated to February 2022.
As a comparison metric, Microsoft software engineers make an average of $123.696 per year, and Meta’s (Facebook) software engineers make an average of $160,992 per year.
Glassdoor also reports that the average salary for software engineers in the United States is $98,949 per year, and at the global level, $89.577 per year.
How Many Software Engineers Does Google Have and their locations?
In the United States, just under 45,000 software engineers work for Google. Here is a brief breakdown of other locations and how many software engineers work for Google.
- India – 4,129
- Switzerland – 2,575
- United Kingdom – 1,634
- Canada – 1,608
- Israel – 939
- Germany – 923
These software engineers studied for their careers at various universities and colleges all over the world. The list is vast, but some of the higher educational institutions include:
- Carnegie Mellon
- University of Southern California
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Tsinghua University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
This data comes from the Google LinkedIn page. Google is ranked as one of the top companies on the LinkedIn platform.
Google’s Company Culture
If you’re considering applying for a job at Google, here are a few things about the company you should know. Let’s see if it’s a good fit for you.
According to Google’s career page, they are an equal opportunity employer committed to this model.
The company also claims to be committed to hiring those with disabilities and a diverse and inclusive environment.
Some careers that are offered include teams as follows:
- Engineering and Tech: For those who want to develop products and tools for users.
- Sales, Service, and Support: For people who want to help to provide businesses the right tools for growth.
- People: Support for the people who help make Google great.
- Design: For creative types who want to be a part of making intuitive experiences.
- Business Strategy: For individuals with the passion to help deliver insights and analysis for improving innovative tech.
- Legal: For people with a passion for the law and helping to create fair policies.
- Finance: For those who desire to design and manage options that support global business.
- Facilities: For individuals who want to create meaningful workplaces.
- Marketing and Communications: For creative people who want to help others connect to products and services.
Health and wellness programs to help employees be as healthy as possible are part of the Google benefits package.
They also offer programs for financial wellbeing, flexible work culture, family care and support options, personal development and community atmosphere, plus extras they call “Googley” extras.
Free Google Certifications
Google’s “Grow With Google” offers free certification courses across several training topics.
Here are a few of the offerings for free certifications you will find on Grow With Google:
- IT Support for people who like to help others solve problems with technology.
- Data Analytics for anyone who likes to discover patterns, trends, and visualizations.
- Project Management if you enjoy organization, working with others, and solving problems.
- UX Design for those who like creativity, thinking, drawing, and understanding people.
- Android Development for people who enjoy collaboration, working with computers, and solving problems.
While there is no free training for software engineers, these free certifications could put you on a path to that career via one of these careers.
It’s something to consider if you don’t want to pile on student loan debt, but still gain skills and certifications to boost your ability to qualify for jobs.
How many software engineers does Google have? We answered that question by providing the most recent data that shows they have 27,169 overall worldwide software engineers, of which 18, 593 work in the R&D department.
You should know not only “how many software engineers does Google have”, but also how much they are paid, the average pay across America and the world for software engineers, and other Google offerings in a variety of areas.
Are you ready to start a career in software engineering? If so, which path will you take?