Quick Answer 🔍How many people use Skype in 2023?
Skype has 300 million monthly active users.
Skype is often one of the staple telecommunications platforms we use online as members of a team, an organization, or a company.
Being around for almost two decades, the Microsoft-owned enterprise enjoys popularity among users with or without professional backgrounds alike.
If you are a loyal user, you might be interested to find out Skype’s user count in 2023.
There are sure still many, despite that the competition in the Web and Videoconferencing industry has grown massively over the past years, with the entrance of G Suite and Zoom.
Tune in until the end as we give you noteworthy facts about Skype!
Skype Users: How Many People Use Skype in 2023?
300 million monthly active users—that is how many people use Skype in 2023!
This is more than twice the number of its 145 million monthly users in 2010 when competition was still in its infancy and Skype enjoyed a dominant position as a platform of choice among the biggest corporations in the United States and beyond.
300 million is a good catch. Moreover, there are still good signs for improvement.
Its user count amassed a 70% month-on-month jump at one point during the pandemic as businesses migrated operations online.
In terms of daily active users, Skype is enjoyed by 40 million people globally, coming from both professional backgrounds and without.
All About Skype
Skype is a Luxembourg-based software entity introduced in the year 2003.
As a portmanteau for its name, the word “Skype” is directly derived from the phrase “Sky Peer to Peer”.
It was originally designed to enable PC-to-PC voice calls, which means that the feature is not available for mobile users.
It was not until September 2010 that mobile video calls have been made available to mobile users.
The telecommunications app can be considered as of the success stories after the dot-com bubble. After launching, it has already been clocking 50 million active users by 2005.
This figure increased to 600 million in 2010, soliciting Microsoft’s interest in an acquisition.
Microsoft took over Skype in May 2011 after completing an $8.5 billion acquisition.
This is the company’s biggest sale at that time and third-biggest acquisition until the present date, with the goal of reaching billions of users together.
Skype managed to fulfill this aim in 2019. In the same year, Microsoft announced that the site clinched four billion total users, with 300 million concurrent users monthly.
It reached one billion app downloads long before that, back in 2016.
Number of Visits to Skype.com
Let us take a look at the number of website visits to Skype.com for the period covering September 2021 to February 2022.
- September 2021 – 37.8 million visits
- October 2021 – 37.8 million visits
- November 2021 – 37.1 million visits
- December 2021 – 35.2 million visits
- January 2022 – 36.1 million visits
- February 2022 – 34.0 million visits
Over the course of six months until February 2022, the number of Skype’s website visits shown a downtrend.
The number started strong with 37.8 million monthly visits and ended lower at only 34.0 million visits in February 2022.
Registered Skype Users from 2011 to 2022
As mentioned, Microsoft took over the pilot seat back in 2011.
In this data, let us examine if the acquisition brought about improvements on Skype’s registered user statistics from the year of the sale to present.
- 2011 – 760 million registered users
- 2012 – 840 million registered users
- 2013 – 920 million registered users
- 2014 – 1.01 billion registered users
- 2015 – 1.12 billion registered users
- 2016 – 1.23 billion registered users
- 2017 – 1.33 billion registered users
- 2018 – 1.43 billion registered users
- 2019 – 1.55 billion registered users
- 2020 – 1.67 billion registered users
- 2021 – 1.80 billion registered users
- 2022 – 1.95 billion registered users
Skype’s registered users have grown in number over the years since Microsoft’s take over.
It clinched its first billionth in 2014, two years before reporting one billion app downloads in 2016.
This uptrend is forecasted to be sustained over the next two years, reaching 2.1 billion registered users in 2023 and 2.27 billion in 2024.
Skype Website Traffic by Country
The United States is home to 11.9% of Skype.com’s total website visits and 40% of the platform’s total users also come from this market.
Below is the list of the top five countries that made the list, as of February 2022.
- United States – 11.9%
- Russia – 7.4%
- India – 7.2%
- Brazil – 5.34%
- Vietnam – 3.81%
Top Industries Using Skype
Here are the top industries using Skype for communications and their respective number of active users.
- Computer Software Industry – 8.6 million active users
- Information Technology and Services Industry – 6.3 million active users
- Education Management Industry – 2.7 million active users
- Hospital and Healthcare Industry – 2.6 million active users
- Higher Education Industry – 2.1 million active users
- Marketing and Advertising Industry – 1.7 million active users
- Financial Services Industry – 1.67 million active users
- Retail Industry – 1.62 million active users
- NGO Management Industry – 1.5 million active users
- Construction Industry – 1.3 million active users
From the data, we can see that technology-related industries namely those operating in the computer software and information technology businesses are the biggest users of Skype in workplaces.
Other interesting sectors that made it to the list are financial services, healthcare, and retail, among others.
Skype Users by Country
Skype is more popular in some geographic locations than on others.
Below is a rundown on the countries where it maintains a stronghold up to this day.
- United States – 32 million active users (49% of Skype’s total users come from the US, making it its biggest market to date)
- United Kingdom – 6.7 million active users (10% of Skype’s total users are from the United Kingdom which occupies the second spot in countries with the most number of Skype users)
- India – 3.1 million active users
- Canada – 2.8 million active users
- Australia – 1.6 million active users
- France – 1.4 million active users
- China – 1.3 million active users
- Brazil – 1.2 million active users
- Germany – 1 million active users
- Italy – 982,000 active users
An interesting note is that many users use a VPN for Skype in order to increase their privacy.
Skype maintains its status as among the more popular telecommunications platform that facilitates free-of-charge service to its users until the present date.
Despite losing much of its market share to Zoom, many patrons still prefer to use the Microsoft-owned enterprise as it allows video conferencing for up to 24 hours, versus the 40 allowable minutes that come with Zoom’s free plan.
We hope you enjoyed reading and gained valuable insights into our article about how many people use Skype in 2023.
There are 300 million people globally on Skype, and it is time that you also check it out!