Quick Answer 🔍How many people use Duolingo in 2023?
The application has over 500 million users of which 42.40 million are active once a month and 10.10 million are learning daily.
During the pandemic, language learning has become of the entertainment sources which saved millions of people worldwide their sanity.
Duolingo has not only made learning a new language convenient for worldwide citizens but also entertaining and fun.
Continue reading to find out how many people use Duolingo in 2023 and other good-to-know facts about this popular application.
How Many People Use Duolingo in 2023?
To start with, how many people use Doulingo in 2023?
As of the latest data, Duolingo has 95 available courses in 38 languages with over 500 million users of which 42.40 million are active at least once a month and 10.10 million are active daily.
In terms of paid subscribers, the platform hit 2.50 million as of January 01, 2022.
The language-centered company generated $161.00 million in its 2020 revenue, soaring 106.00% year-over-year, and was valued at $2.40 billion.
What is Duolingo?
Duolingo is one of the world’s most popular language-learning applications that was first launched in 2012.
Currently, it is available to be accessed by any learner around the world on the web, iOS, and on Android.
Duolingo’s Number of Users from 2013 to 2020
During the application’s fresh years, it managed to garner over a million users as people around the world are eager to learn languages for various purposes like marriage, work, school, travel, or even just for fun.
Note that in this data, records in 2015 and 2017 are not provided.
- 2013 – 5 million users
- 2014 – 10 million users
- 2016 – 30 million users
- 2018 – 25 million users
- 2019 – 30 million users
- 2020 – 42 million users
Number of Duolingo’s Daily Average Users (DAU) from 2019 to 2022
In November 2021 alone, the Duolingo mobile app on Google Play Store recorded a peak of more than 1.40 million daily active users, which is attributed to its increasing popularity due to the coronavirus pandemic.
During the period, people were forced to stay at home and find some stay-at-home hobbies like language learning.
So far, in the first quarter of 2022, the application managed to hit 10.10 million daily active users thanks to its engaging game-like feature.
- 2019 – 5.20 million daily active users
- 2020 – 8.20 million daily active users
- 2021 – 9.20 million daily active users
- Q1 2022 – 10.10 million daily active users
Duolingo’s Number of Users by Language
This list accounts for the learning platform’s registered users per language, not the active learners.
- English – 399 million users
- Spanish – 142 million users
- French – 101 million users
- German – 61 million users
- Italian – 40 million users
- Portuguese – 20 million users
How Many Courses Does Duolingo Offer?
Duolingo began to offer only five courses way back in its first launch in 2012, and it expanded to 95 as of 2020.
- 2012 – 5 available courses
- 2014 – 11 available courses
- 2016 – 18 available courses
- 2018 – 62 available courses
- 2019 – 91 available courses
- 2020 – 95 available courses
Number of Available Language on Duolingo
Statistics show the number of languages available on Duolingo in 2012, 2016, and 2020.
At first, the app only started with English, and now it offers 38 languages.
- 2012 – 1 available language
- 2016 – 19 available languages
- 2020 – 38 available languages
What Languages Does Duolingo Offer?
This list consists of the top 10 language courses offered by Duolingo to its English-speaking users as of July 2021.
- Spanish – consists of 26.20 million learners
- French – consists of 16.40 million learners
- German – consists of 8.86 million learners
- Japanese – consists of 10.30 million learners
- Italian – consists of 5.79 million learners
- Korean – consists of 6.51 million learners
- Chinese – consists of 5.04 million learners
- Hindi – consists of 4.74 million learners
- Russian – consists of 4.03 million learners
- Arabic – consists of 3.10 million learners
Number of Duolingo Downloads on iOS and Android from 2013 to 2020
This list shows the number of downloads of the Duolingo app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store worldwide.
- 2013 – 10 million downloads
- 2014 – 25 million downloads
- 2015 – 120 million downloads
- 2016 – 150 million downloads
- 2017 – 200 million downloads
- 2018 – 300 million downloads
- 2019 – 385 million downloads
- 2020 – 500 million downloads
Interesting Duolingo Facts that will Amaze You
- An average Duolingo user is spending around 10 minutes a day in the application or website to learn a language.
- As of May 05, 2016, the percentage of Duolingo users that study English reached 53.30.
- There are seven billion average exercises completed by its users per month.
- New sign-ups on the language learning applications rose by 108.00% from March 09 to March 30 due to the lockdown brought by the coronavirus pandemic. In the United States alone, sign-ups skyrocketed by 148.00%.
- As of January 02, 2017, the number of Duolingo registered users in India reached 3.40 million. The percentage of users in India that use the language learning platform to study English hit 60.00.
Duolingo as a Popular Education Application
- Duolingo was ranked number two as the most popular education application used by children in the United Kingdom and was used by 28.00%, in February 2020.
- In March 2020, the website Duolingo.com was the second most famous online education platform with 55.60 million visitors.
- The language app was ranked number three worldwide in both Apple App Store and Google Play Store downloads in May 2020.
- In May 2021, the Duolingo mobile app had roughly 16.80 million monthly active users on iPhone and iPad globally.
- According to the New York City University, a language learner with no knowledge of Spanish would need to spend between 26 and 49 hours or 34 hours on average on Duolingo to cover the material for the first college semester of Spanish.
As the world becomes smaller and people with different languages, cultures, and upbringing desire to connect with one another, Duolingo has become a convenient tool for linking people through language learning.
How many people use Duolingo in 2023? The application has over 500 million users of which 42.40 million are active once a month and 10.10 million are learning daily.
This user base is expected to grow in the coming years as learning a new language becomes a requirement of the 21st-century workforce.