Technology can transform the planet in ways that are difficult to imagine.
That is, until it happens.
In medieval times, turning on an electric light or a ceiling fan would have been unimaginable to our ancestors while it’s commonplace to us.
Even our grandparents see things they never would have imagined happening in their lifetimes.
Nowadays, technological advancements are moving at a much faster pace than ever before.
So, just how fast is technology advancing?
It would be easy to underestimate just how much technology can bring unimaginable changes to the world.
Let’s talk a little walk through the world of technology and how its advancing and where it’s going.
- 5.19 billion people use the internet as of July 2023.
- 7.33 billion people from all around the world use mobile phones.
- 93% of American adults use the internet.
- About 90% of global data has been collected in the past couple of years.
- Worldwide, 463 exabytes of data will be produced by 2025.
- 40% of people around the globe have access to the internet.
- The adoption of mobile banking will generate 95 million jobs.
- Every day, on average, there are more than 600,000 new internet users.
- 500 billion devices will be connected to the web by 2030.
- Global internet penetration in 2022 was about 63%.
How Fast is Technology Advancing in 2023?
1. 5.19 Billion People Use the Internet as Of July 2023.
5.19 billion people use the internet as of July 2023.
This translates to 64.6% of the world’s population.
Of the 5.19 billion people on the web. 4.88 billion use social media, which translates to 59.9% of the global population.
Moreover, in April 2023, 99% of the people in Norway, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE used the internet.
In contrast, North Korea had almost no penetration of internet users.
2. In 2023, 7.33 Billion People from Around the World Use Mobile Phones.
The number of mobile phone users by the end of 2023 is expected to grow to 7.33 billion people.
At the end of 2020, there were 6.95 billion mobile phone users, so the growth is significant growth for only three years.
Moreover, this growth is expected to continue through 2025 when it’s projected that 7.49 people will be using mobile phones.
3. 93% of American Adults Use the Internet.
Data shows that 93% of American adults use the internet compared to 52% in 2020.
The use of the internet has seen especially fast and large growth since the global pandemic.
Moreover, 93% of young adults in the Netherlands also used the internet.
However, 98% of older adults in North Korea reported using the internet.
(Pew Research Center, Zippia)
4. About 90% of Global Data Has Been Collected in The Past Couple of Years.
In 2014, it was discovered that 90% of the data across the world was collected over a two-year period.
This data should come as no surprise since people all over the world have been using social media for several years and have shared pictures, videos, and other social posts.
Additionally, there has been a lot of growth in GPS, health sensors, and climate sensors over the years.
5. Worldwide, 463 Exabytes of Data Will Be Produced by 2025.
According to our sources, by 2025, the world will produce 463 exabytes of data.
What an exabyte? An exabyte, or EB, is a unit of computer data storage.
It’s equal to 1,000 Petabytes or one billion gigabytes (GB).
Technology experts estimate that all the words spoken by people in the world is equal to five exabytes.
6. 40% of People Around the Globe Have Access to The Internet.
Our sources show us that there are about 3.8 billion people actively using the internet all over the globe.
This is equal to a massive 40% of the world’s population.
Furthermore, research shows that internet usage is expected to enjoy continued and exponential growth in the coming years worldwide.
7. The Adoption of Mobile Banking Will Generate 95 Million Jobs.
If you’re reading this, you have likely used mobile banking in some way over the past few days.
Technology advancements statistics show a widespread adoption of mobile banking usage.
As a result, 95 million jobs will eventually be generated in developing nations.
8. Every Day, on Average, There Are More than 600,000 New Internet Users.
We already know there are over 5 billion internet users on the planet, but what about new users that join the internet crowd daily?
Data reveals that on average, more than 600,000 new internet users emerge every day.
This is expected to see more growth in the coming years since this is happening among 60% of the world’s population that has internet access.
9. 500 Billion Devices Will Be Connected to The Web by 2030.
CompTIA revealed that there will be 500 billion gadgets (devices) connected to the internet by 2030.
That’s a half a trillion gadgets that will be connected to the web in just 7 years.
This data comes from the knowledge that IoT spending that accounted for $1.2 trillion (USD) in 2022.
10. Global Internet Penetration in 2022 Was About 63%.
DataReportal reported that 63% of the global population use the internet.
We learned that 5.19 billion people in the world use the internet out of the known 7.9 billion people on the planet.
Since 2021, the CAGR has been at 4% which is how this growth is calculated.
What Are the Most Recent Top Trending Technological Advancements?
The latest developments in technology include several advancements, but we found that these are the most notable:
• AI (Artificial Intelligence) and ML (Machine Learning): AI and ML are both newer technologies that have been developed in recent years, though the concept has been around much longer.
This technology is used across industries including, but not limited to, transportation, manufacturing, and healthcare.
• IoT (Internet of Things): The IoT is used to connect billions of devices to the internet. As a result, new opportunities for data gathering and analytics have arisen.
• VR (Virtual Reality) and AR (Augmented Reality): VR and AR are both used for creating immersive experiences that change the way we engage with our surroundings and the world.
Like AI and ML, VR and AR are used in industries like gaming and psychology.
What Are Some Benefits of Technological Advancements?
Technology has loads of benefits such as:
• Boosting Productivity: Technology helps us all work more efficiently and effectively.
• Improving Communications: It’s easier now than ever in history to communicate with family, friends, and folks all over the globe.
• Enhancing Healthcare: New treatments and cures for diseases have been and are being more swiftly developed because of technological advancements.
• Increasing Access to Information: While access to information online has been around for a while, today, it’s even more accessible to more people all over the world.
Technological advancements are also better today for weeding out irrelevant search results.
What Are Some Challenges of Technological Advancements?
Along with the benefits technology brings to the table come the challenges, which include some things like:
• Job Displacement: As more technological advancements emerge some jobs will be replaced by software or machines. However, jobs to manage such systems will be more abundant.
• Privacy Concerns: As more data is collected, concerns and woes regarding how it’s used grows with the advancements of technology.
• Ethical Considerations: As modern technologies enter the sector, ethical concerns abound. For instance, the use of AI in wartime.
In terms of how fast and how much technology is advancing, these statistics have shown us a lot.
We also know that the experts say that technology development and advancements will continue as access to the internet expands.
After reading these statistics, it looks like technology is advancing at breakneck speed as more and more people all over the world get connected across multiple devices.
Computers (laptops and desktops), tablets, mobile and smart phones, gaming systems, and other internet-connected devices keep growing.
We could easily underestimate how fast technology is growing, but with the information in this article from reliable sources, it will be more challenging to underestimate it.
If anything, we may overestimate it now.
You should now have a better picture of technology and the advancements being made and those that are forthcoming.