How fast is technology advancing in 2023?
In this day and age when everything is available in a snap of a finger, advancement in technology plays a big role in making our lives easier.
From simply asking Siri about a sea salt chocolate chip cookie recipe to more complex science like gene therapy, cloning, and creating GMOs, all these are made possible by the relative improvement in our technology.
We have come a long way from the Stone Age where our ancestors had to create everything from the ground up.
If you are keen to know how fast is technology advancing and the upcoming inventions experts are keeping an eye on, continue reading.
How Fast is Technology Advancing in 2023?
With every second we spend on earth, technology advances faster than we could track.
While it is practically untrackable, there are different measures experts employ to give an estimate about how fast is technology advancing in 2023.
First is through the growth in the number of a microprocessor’s transistors which reflects the processing capacity of computers and other gadgets.
A survey from Our World in Data shows that there are approximately 10 billion transistors that could fit in an average nano-sized microprocessor used by the majority of graphic processing units in the world.
NVIDIA, the world’s leading GPU maker, holds the record-high of the highest transistor count for its H100 microprocessor which is at 80 billion.
Imagine, this is a billion times higher than the maximum number of 10,000 transistors on microprocessors in the 1970s.
Internet-of-things and Smart Devices
The drastic improvement in microprocessors paved the way for significantly faster, more efficient, and hi-tech devices that we use today.
There are now 11 billion internet-of-things devices globally.
These smart devices make human-to-computer interaction possible, where the user can input a command and the computer obeys instantly.
This is found on almost everything we use daily, particularly smartphones, smart refrigerators, smart locks, voice controllers for home appliances, and the like.
Tech Startups Are Growing Fast
Tech startups light-up novel inventions that consistently challenge our human limits.
Every year, these new companies try to bring something new to the table that the world has never seen before.
During the pandemic year, the number of new tech-related startups created during the year is 1.35 million.
This added to the overall number of startups created annually at 300 million and this sector often gets the highest attention from investors.
In the second quarter of 2019 alone, venture capitalists and individual sponsors spent $1.6 billion collectively to fund angel investments in North America.
This comes as the world’s most successful companies today namely Apple Inc, Alphabet Inc, Facebook, and Amazon all come from this sector.
Global Distribution of Tech Startups by Sector
Take a look at the global distribution of startups by sector, with details on their respective shares in the overall market.
- Financial technology – accounts for 7.1% of all tech startups globally
- Life sciences and health care – account for 6.8% of all tech startups globally
- Artificial intelligence – accounts for 5.0% of all tech startups globally
- Gaming (mobile, video, and console) – accounts for 4.7% of all tech startups globally
- Adtech – accounts for 3.3% of all tech startups globally
- Blockchain – accounts for 1.5% of all tech startups globally
- Robotics – accounts for 1.3% of all tech startups globally
- Cybersecurity – accounts for 0.7% of all tech startups globally
Top 10 Countries with Best Startup Climate
Many countries aim of having a great startup infrastructure since this speaks about its receptiveness to investments and encourages new ideas among the population.
Below is a list of the top countries with the best startup climates.
The data has details about their respective scores out of a hundred points, measured by their friendliness to human capital investment, R&D, entrepreneurial infrastructure, technical workforce, and policy dynamics.
- United States – 92 points
- United Kingdom – 91 points
- Canada – 90 points
- Israel – 89 points, topping all the countries in Asia of having the friendliest startup infrastructure
- India – 88 points
- Germany – 87 points
- Poland – 86 points
- Malaysia – 85 points
- Sweden – 84 points
- Denmark – 83 points
Greatest Tech Inventions of 2021
There is a never-ending list of novel inventions in the 21st century. Year after year, new inventions come and outpace previous ones.
What are the greatest tech inventions in 2021? Below are some of them.
Covid vaccines – although Covid 19 vaccines are technically under life sciences and health care, there is still a technology side involved in there.
Messenger RNA inoculations for the ongoing pandemic have leveraged a technology that has been in the works for more than two decades
- GPT-3 computer – also known most literate computer to date, this model can speak and write. Although it could not grasp what it writes in reality, this invention is a huge leap in the employment of artificial intelligence in computers, highlighting the potential of machine learning
- Lithium-metal batteries – are the replacement for the overly power-dependent lithium-ion batteries. This type is forecasted to lessen the need for recharging, which is a huge problem among electric vehicles. Lithium-metal batteries have a fast-charging feature and are expected to boost an EV’s battery span by 80% from current levels
Future Technology Advances to Watch
Despite that there have been so many technological advances employed since the start of the scientific revolution, and there are many more to come.
Here are some of the most-anticipated inventions in the coming years, as per the MIT Technology Review.
- An internet that is based on quantum physics that could not be hacked. Information passes through fiber-optic cables where no other intruders can have access to what is coded inside
- A hyper-personalized medicine that is individually created to target unique genetic mutations that cannot be solved by a generic treatment plan
- Good news for those seeking the fountain of youth, anti-aging drugs are coming our way. Several drugs of this kind are already in clinical trials which could reverse common manifestations of aging such as osteoarthritis.
Technology is advancing with every blink of our eyes. Millions and billions of people are interested to test if we can do more and achieve more than what we already have at the present.
This way, even the most complicated problems of today will have an immediate solution.
Some experts believe that there will come a day when technology can reverse even controversial but natural human processes, like death.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article about how fast is technology advancing in 2023.
|Technology Review||Technology Review||USAToday|