Facebook and Instagram stand as towering giants in the social media space, captivating billions of users worldwide.
Their dominance is undeniable, shaping the social media landscape and influencing our daily lives, especially in the way we communicate, in many ways.
In this resource, we will dive into Facebook vs. Instagram user demographics and understand how these demographics influence user engagement, content preferences, and overall platform usage.
- Facebook’s active monthly user count is higher than Instagram’s, with 3.030 billion compared to 2.35 billion people using the platform each month.
- Despite Facebook’s overwhelming popularity, Instagram is tagged as the most ‘favorite’ social media platform globally.
- 48.7% of social media users reveal that they are using these platforms to connect with friends and family worldwide.
- 4.89 billion people worldwide are now social media users.
- Instagram has 500 million active daily users, while Facebook is used by 2.064 billion users daily.
- In the United States, more people use Instagram (72%) than Facebook (61%).
Facebook vs. Instagram User Demographics in 2024
1. Facebook Has a Larger Monthly Active User Base than Instagram
Despite sharing the same parent company, Meta, the disparity in the number of users between Facebook and Instagram cannot be denied.
With 3.03 billion monthly active users, Facebook still stands as the social media giant with the largest monthly active user base, surpassing Instagram’s 2.35 billion monthly active users.
This figure shows Facebook’s sustained appeal to users of all ages and preferences attributed to several factors such as its early start in the social media landscape, its diverse range of features, and its ability to foster both personal and professional connections.
2. Facebook Groups Are Surprisingly Pulling in User Engagement
Aside from that, the platform’s news feed provides users a constant stream of updates from friends, family, and organizations, keeping users informed and engaged with their friends’ lives no matter where they are.
Additionally, Facebook’s groups feature allows users to connect with others who share their interests, creating a sense of community and belonging.
An estimated 1.8 billion people currently are members of at least one Facebook Group worldwide.
3. Facebook Continues to Be the Most Popular Social Media Network
Facebook’s dominance is undeniable.
It has 2 billion daily active users in 2023, surpassing Instagram’s 500 million daily active users by a significant margin.
With its large user base and important role in connecting people, Facebook is poised to remain a dominant force in the social media landscape in the upcoming years.
(Demandsage and Backlinko)
4. Instagram Is Tagged as The Favorite Social Media Network
While Facebook remains the most widely used platform in terms of overall usage and user base, Instagram is a frontrunner in terms of engagement and popularity among younger demographics.
According to a survey, 15.7% of the respondents revealed that their favorite app is Instagram, a greater number than the 13% of the respondents who voted Facebook as their most favorite app.
5. 48.7% Rely on These Platforms to Maintain Connections with Friends and Family
For 48.7% of social media users, both Facebook and Instagram serve as vital tools for fostering relationships with friends and family living in different parts of the world.
In the past years, social media platforms have changed the way we connect by overcoming geographical barriers and enabling people to stay in touch with friends and family from all over the world in a click.
6. Only 57.1% of Instagram Users Use It for Maintaining Connection with Friends and Family
A notable gap exists between the messaging behavior of Facebook and Instagram users, with a considerably higher proportion of Facebook users, 72.7% using the app to connect with loved ones compared to 57.1% of Instagram users.
So, it is not a big deal why the majority of people we meet during travels or conferences choose to connect via Instagram and not Facebook.
It’s just the way it is!
7. 4.89 Billion People Are Now Using Social Media All Over the World
The widespread adoption of social media has transformed the way we communicate, connect, and consume information.
It has transformed industries, empowered individuals, and reshaped the global landscape.
8. Both Instagram and Facebook Have a Male-Dominated User Base, with Over 50% of Their Users Being Men.
Men outnumber women on both Facebook and Instagram, with 56.3% of Facebook users and 52.2% of Instagram users being male.
(Sprout Social and Social Pilot)
72% of the American population utilize Instagram, while Facebook trails with 61% of users.
Instagram’s current dominance among American social media users highlights the ever-evolving landscape of digital communication and the shifting preferences of users.
While Facebook once reigned supreme as the go-to social media platform in the 2010s, Instagram’s focus on visual content and its appeal to younger generations have put it to the forefront of social media usage among American audiences today.
10. Facebook Users Spend Nearly Two and A Half Times More Time on The Platform Compared to Instagram Users
According to multiple studies, an average Facebook user spends about 28 hours on the platform in a month, while an Instagram user only spends an average of 11.7 hours on the app.
While both platforms have a large user base, their ability to retain and engage users varies considerably as seen in the average time users spend using them.
(Hootsuite and Social Shepherd)
11. Nearly 70% of Instagram Users Turn to The Platform Specifically for Sharing Photos and Videos
While Facebook serves as a hub for social connections, news consumption, and group interactions, Instagram has established itself as a platform for visual expression, trendsetting, and aesthetic contents.
This is why it is no surprise that 69.9% of Instagram users use the platform to share photos and videos to the public, a much greater number compared to the 63.8% of Facebook users using the platform for the same purpose.
12. Staying Updated Is a More Prominent Motive for Facebook Users, with 58.6% Using the App for This Purpose
Facebook’s algorithm prioritizes news articles, updates from friends and family, and content from groups and pages that users follow.
58.6% of the platform’s users admit to using the app for staying updated.
Facebook offers multiple features that make sure users are constantly exposed to current information and relevant updates for specific users.
Aside from that, Facebook’s real-time updates feature allows users to stay up-to-date with breaking news, live events, and ongoing discussions.
Social media has become a fundamental aspect of our social interactions and information consumption.
More than half of the world population has been engaged in our social lives within our devices.
But among all social media platforms, facebook and instagram remained on top.
As social media users, it is important to stay updated about the latest trends and statistics surrounding the platforms that we use almost every day of our lives.
The varying Facebook vs. Instagram user demographics highlight the shifting preferences and consumption habits of social media users, showcasing a dynamic landscape that will continue to shape the future of online interactions and engagement.