Quick Answer 🔍How many people use Etsy in 2023?
Etsy has 96.3 million users.
With the popularity of customized items sold online, you may be wondering how many people use Etsy in 2023.
Who is not willing to shell out a bit of cash for cute, artsy items online?
Let alone ones you can put your name or photo into?
There’s no point in shame, we all share this weakness.
Etsy did not fail to capitalize on this thriving market to grow its business.
It has also become an avenue for self-made, independent crafters and artists to offer their personalized crafts to a wider set of audiences.
How many people are buying and selling on Etsy? Let’s find out!
How Many People Use Etsy in 2023?
According to data released by the company itself— by the end of the 2021 fiscal year, Etsy had 96.3 million users.
This is on top of the 7.5 million sellers based on the site during the same year.
Etsy’s User Count Over the Years
It was not an easy ride to the top for Etsy. According to the Etsy Journal, the company had 650,000 members and 120,000 sellers, managed by its small workforce of only 51 people.
This was sometime in September 2005, just three months after Rob Kalin launched Etsy with three of his friends.
Below is a piece of information detailing the enterprise’s user growth over the years.
This data is for the period covering 2014 to 2021.
- End of the fiscal year 2014 – Etsy had 19.8 million users
- End of the fiscal year 2015 – Etsy had 24.0 million users
- End of the fiscal year 2016 – Etsy had 28.5 million users
- End of the fiscal year 2017 – Etsy had 33.3 million users
- End of the fiscal year 2018 – Etsy had 39.4 million users
- End of the fiscal year 2019 – Etsy had 46.3 million users
- End of the fiscal year 2020 – Etsy had 81.8 million users
- End of the fiscal year 2021 – Etsy had 96.3 million users
Etsy had a record-breaking year during the pandemic.
It was at this time when people have become keener to buy customized, and art-related items such as personalized journals, mugs, face masks, and many others.
The Biggest E-commerce Sites in the United States
The list of the biggest e-commerce sites in the United States now includes Etsy on the roster.
Take a look at the companies with the highest number of monthly visits in 2021, and how many visits each one made on average during the year.
- Amazon – the platform recorded 2 billion average monthly visits in 2021
- eBay – the platform recorded 688.90 million average monthly visits in 2021
- Walmart – the platform recorded 388.80 million average monthly visits in 2021
- Etsy – the platform recorded 238.40 million average monthly visits in 2021
- Target – the platform recorded 175.70 million average monthly visits in 2021
Etsy is among the “Big 5” e-commerce sites in the United States, averaging 238 million monthly visits in 2021.
Etsy Best Sellers 2023
Customer taste and preference change in a snap. This is why keeping yourself updated with what’s selling hot is the best way to get ahead of the game.
Take a look at the list of product categories that Etsy users are loving.
These are the sectors that have generated the highest number of shop sales as of July 2022.
- Crafts and supplies – this category generated the highest number of sales so far on Etsy, with top-selling shops like PlannerKate1 and Beatboat operating in this section. Items such as crochets and knits are popular in this category.
- Handmade items – this category includes customized wedding, birthday, and party invitations, personalized boxes, and other artsy items embedded with a tinge of the buyer’s personality
- Jewelry and accessories – this category includes jewelry items such as trendy earrings, rings, necklaces, and hair decorations. Accessories like hats and scarves also made the cut.
- Wedding – this category includes everything that a wedding calls for: bouquets, corsages, and souvenirs
- Party supplies – another best-selling category is party supplies which includes custom posters, birthday cards, and even a beer-pong set
Other popular categories that rake thousands of Etsy users include clothing, vintage, home and living, and art and collectibles.
Etsy’s Top Performing Shops in 2023
Shops can make between a few dollars to millions on Etsy.
When you hit the right niche and you are the best in your craft, it is easy to attract thousands of dollars into your business bank account every month.
Here are the top performing shops on Etsy as of July 2022 and their sales generated since opening their shop on the e-commerce platform.
- PlannerKate – made $1.8 million in sales since opening on Etsy
- CatlynMinimalistic – made $1.5 million in sales since opening on Etsy
- Beadboat – made $1.4 million in sales since opening on Etsy
- ModParty – made $1.2 million in sales since opening on Etsy
- Yakutum – made $900,000 in sales since opening on Etsy
- PeggySueAlso – made $799,000 in sales since opening on Etsy
- Nicoledebruin – made $757,000 in sales since opening on Etsy
- Ilovelotus – made $737,000 in sales since opening on Etsy
- Yadanabeads – made $629,000 in sales since opening on Etsy
- Worldincensestore – made $618,000 in sales since opening on Etsy
Etsy Fee: Everything You Need to Know
Selling on a marketplace like Etsy is easy, and everyone has the chance to make a lot of cash when given the right opportunity.
With the help of the right marketing, your shop can make a couple of hundred dollars in no time.
Here are the things you need to take into account when planning to sell on the site:
- Etsy offers a $0.20 listing fee for items you want to sell on its marketplace. This fee will cover four months’ worth of product listing. You will need to pay an additional $0.20 if you want to relist after this timeline expires
- The company takes a 5% commission on all items sold on Etsy, including the shipping fee
- For shops wanting to promote their listings on outside platforms like Google, Etsy charges a transaction fee of 12% on all sales proceeds
Etsy is among the most successful online marketplaces in the world today.
Thanks to its unique concept—offering personalized items to customers—the company has gained the hearts of 96.3 million users that are on the site today.
Sellers have the chance to make it big on Etsy.
The secret is simple: offer items that have never been offered before and make sure they are of the best quality.
A rule of thumb: make your price competitive, but never compromise on the quality. This is how you will win customers on Etsy.
Thank you for reading our article Etsy usage statistics in 2023.