One of the market leaders in the browsing market worldwide is Microsoft Edge.
This web browser is a replacement for Internet Explorer.
It is popular with its unique built-in features, including gaming, AI-powered browser, shopping, and security features.
Edge is the default browser in Windows 10 and succeeding versions.
It is automatically set as the default browser when users install or upgrade to Windows 10 or newer versions.
Because of this, it became the third leading browser in the global browser market.
- Edge ranks third in the browser market worldwide, next to Chrome and Safari, with a market share of 4.97%.
- Microsoft Edge fell behind Apple’s Safari in the desktop browser market worldwide in April 2023 by almost 1%.
- Edge was developed to replace Internet Explorer.
- The estimated number of people using Edge is approximately 257 million.
- Edge was the third-leading desktop browser in the United States, accounting for a market share of 13.58%.
- Edge recorded a 0.30% market share in the mobile browser market in the US in April 2023.
Edge is a web browser released in 2015 by Microsoft. It was developed as a successor to Internet Explorer. It replaces IE as the default browser for Windows.
This browser is not only functional on Windows. It is also compatible with macOS, Android, and iOS.
As of April 2023, Microsoft Edge ranks third in the browser market worldwide, next to Chrome and Safari.
It accounts for a 4.97% market share. It also got the third spot in the browsing market in the United States, acquiring an 8.45% market share.
In terms of mobile browsers in the US, Edge failed to keep up.
It falls behind Safari, Chrome, Samsung Internet, Firefox, Opera, and Android. It only recorded a 0.3% market share in April 2023.
Microsoft Edge in the Desktop Browser Market Worldwide
As for the desktop browser market worldwide, Microsoft Edge and Apple’s Safari are switching places for the second spot.
From March 2022 to March 2023, Edge was the second-leading browser in the desktop browser market.
However, in April 2023, Safari surpassed Edge by nearly 1%. Safari had an 11.89% market share, while Edge had 10.95%.
This browser has a long way to be in the first spot, but it continuously improves its built-in features and speed to boost its users’ browsing experience with outstanding performance.
Below is the list of Edge market share in the browser market worldwide from April 2022 to April 2023:
- In April 2022, the Edge market share reached 4.05% in the browser market worldwide
- In June 2022, the Edge market share reached 4.13% in the browser market worldwide
- In August 2022, the Edge market share reached 4.30% in the browser market worldwide
- In October 2022, the Edge market share reached 4.40% in the browser market worldwide
- In December 2022, the Edge market share reached 4.23% in the browser market worldwide
- In February 2023, the Edge market share reached 4.28% in the browser market worldwide
- In April 2023, the Edge market share reached 4.97% in the browser market worldwide
All About Edge
Microsoft started developing Edge in late 2014 with a project name “Project Spartan.”
It is to replace Internet Explorer because the company recognized the need for a more secure and modern browser.
This is also to meet users’ expectations and the evolving demands of web technology.
It was introduced as the default browser for Windows 10 in April 2015 and was first released in July of the same year.
Microsoft’s flagship browser comes pre-installed on all new Windows devices, including Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows 10 Mobile, and Xbox Series.
Edge offers excellent built-in features such as security, learning and accessibility tools, working tools to help users stay productive and focused, shopping, an AI-powered browser, and gaming features.
In this way, Edge gained popularity and became one of the leading web browsers worldwide.
How Many People Are Using Edge?
According to some reports, there were about 158 million Edge users in July 2021 and around 232 million in September 2022.
As of April 2023, internet users worldwide reached 5.18 billion. Edge recorded a 4.97% market share in the browser market worldwide.
This brings the estimated number of Edge users to approximately 257 million.
Microsoft Edge Falls Behind Apple’s Safari in the Desktop Browser Market
Microsoft Edge and Apple’s Safari race for the second-leading desktop browser worldwide.
Recently, Edge fell behind Safari by 0.94%, leading it to the third spot.
Its market share in the desktop browser market in April 2023 was 10.95%, while Safari’s market share was 11.89%.
Comparable to the desktop browser market in the United States, Edge was also the third-leading desktop browser.
It accounts for a market share of 13.58%.
Leading Mobile Browsers in the United States
Unlike the desktop browser market, where Chrome tops the market, Safari leads in the mobile browser market in the United States.
Yes, it surpasses not only Edge but also Chrome.
Let’s take a look at the market shares of the leading mobile browsers in the United States in April 2023:
- Safari had a 55.02% market share in the mobile browser market in the US
- Chrome had a 38.66% market share in the mobile browser market in the US
- Samsung Internet had a 3.61% market share in the mobile browser market in the US
- Firefox had a 0.96% market share in the mobile browser market in the US
- Opera had a 0.54% market share in the mobile browser market in the US
- Android had a 0.31% market share in the mobile browser market in the US
- Edge had a 0.30% market share in the mobile browser market in the US
Edge Winning Features
Why do people prefer using Microsoft Edge? Millions of people love Microsoft Edge since it offers new features each month.
It provides features and tools that enhance the browsing experience of users with excellent performance.
Users need not worry about their private information since it has security and privacy features to keep online information and data secured and protected.
Aside from that, It has features like vertical tabs, tab groups, and collections, allowing users to stay organized and make the most of their time online.
More Winning Features of Edge
Edge is also a student-friendly browser. It empowers students with learning and accessibility tools, allowing them to learn through reading or listening.
It is also the best web browser for gaming. It gives access to different free games on the web.
It has built-in features to find coupons and cashback from various stores to help users save money when shopping online.
Microsoft Edge is one of the most-used web browsers worldwide. However, it is still far from being at the top.
But it strives to be the best by giving excellent features and tools.
As of April 2023, it is the third most popular browser in the global browser market, with nearly 5% market share.
That’s all about the Edge market share in 2023. Thanks for reading.