Gambling is one of the world’s oldest pastimes, proven through ancient writings and gambling implements found in tombs and buried in ruins.
The strict regulation of gambling began in Ancient Rome and China. According to recent casino industry statistics, people desire gambling and alcohol.
Whether you’re seeking casino industry statistics to help brainstorm for gambling strategies or you are just curious about casino and gambling figures, we gathered current casino statistics to get you started.
As evidenced by the long-standing existence of gambling, casinos embody all things that make gambling appealing, such as the adrenaline rush, thrill, glamour, luck, and winnings.
Read on for casino industry statistics to help you level up your game.
Key Casino Industry Statistics
- In 2019, the online casino and gambling market was worth $53.7 billion.
- Edward O. Thorp is one of the most successful gamblers in the world.
- 61% of casino visitors favor slot machines over other casino gaming options.
- Casino industry statistics show that revenues in 2020, reached $227 billion.
- Approximately 10 million Americans are gambling addicts.
- The average UK gambler is between 55 and 64 years old.
- An estimated 75% of US gambling addicts also have problems with alcohol.
- 50% of casinos claim that the Gen X audience will make up the largest target demographic in the next five years.
- Only about 2-3% of casino addicts self-report.
- 70 out of 100 casinos plan to roll out skills-based games for younger players.
Essential Casino Industry Stats and Facts
We will go into more detail about casino statistics, but first, we will cover the basics. The following will address the popularity, expansion, and size of the overall global casino industry.
1. According to Casino Industry Statistics, the United States Has 2,157 Casinos, Making It Number One Worldwide.
The state of Nevada alone has 360 casinos currently in operation. Romania ranks second with 310 casinos, Canada third with 216 casinos, and Mexico fourth with 212 casinos.
2. The World’s Oldest Casino Opened up In Venice in 1938, According to Casino Facts.
Casino di Venezia will be 384 years old this year.
We don’t know much about what casinos of the past offered, but today you will find all the newest gaming tables, slots, and other casino games.
In China, the only exception is Texas Hold’em.
3. In 2019, the Online Casino and Gambling Market Was Worth $53.7 Billion.
Estimates for the online gambling industry state that this market will grow at 11.5% CAGR between 2020 and 2027.
It’s important to know this estimate came before the pandemic shook things up across the globe. The consequences are not yet known.
4. Casino Industry Statistics Show that Revenues in 2020 Reached $227 Billion.
The online gambling industry alone brought in around $66.67 billion in 2020, according to worldwide casino statistics. Despite the pandemic, about 4,800 businesses offered jobs for 1,122,574 people.
Casinos offer a wide array of services to their patrons, so this number combines waiters, hoteliers, bartenders, and other casino jobs.
5. According to Las Vegas Casino Facts, in 2019, You Would Have Seen Nearly 200,000 Slot Machines in That City Alone.
The once desolate region where Las Vegas now exists became popular exclusively from gambling and gambling tourism.
The first official Las Vegas casino got its license in 1931. Statistical estimates show that $541 per visit is the average budget of Las Vegas tourists.
6. The First Five Casinos Ever Established Are Still in Operation, According to Casino Industry Facts.
Besides the oldest casino ever, Casino di Venezia, four other old casinos are still open for business today.
- The Casino di Venezia, Italy – 1638
- The Casino de Spa, Belgium – 1763
- The Kurhaus Casino of Baden-Baden, Germany – 1824 closed in 1872 reopened in 1933
- The Casino de Monte Carlo, Monaco – 1861
- The Golden Gate Casino, Las Vegas – 1906
These casinos attracted artists and aristocrats. This level of exclusivity remains today.
The decor blends classic woodwork and crystal chandeliers with the modern gambling environment.
They know it’s in the details when you want to cater to customers, making them feel important so they will spend money.
7. Recent Native American Casino Industry Statistics State that Employment Stats Go up By About 26% After Opening a Casino.
Additionally, statistics show that the working poor experienced a decrease of 14%. This positive data has proven to bring back tribe members and young people to reservations.
Positive changes in the social aspect come from this over four years.
8. 61% of Casino Visitors Favor Slot Machines Over Other Casino Gaming.
Have you been wondering why three are always so many people in the slots rooms of casinos? Wonder no more.
The overall winner of favorite casino games is slots. In China, Baccarat is a favorite game
9. The Growth of The Global Casino Industry Is Expected to Maintain at A Cagr Rate of 5.14%.
In monetary terms, this means that the casino market segment will experience growth from between $6,247.75 million to $8,443.56 million between 2019 and 2025.
Casino Demographics and Who’s Going to Casinos
It might surprise you to know that the casino industry’s demographics cover a wide range of ages, genders, locations, etc.
The following will discuss the numbers related to the casino demographics.
10. Edward O. Thorp Is One of The Most Successful Gamblers in The World.
Edward O. Thorp may go down in history as one of the most successful gamblers in the world, but most of his methods are taboo in casinos today.
If you try to use any of his techniques, you would get thrown out and banned from a casino.
Thorp is also known for writing the book, Beat the Dealer where he describes in detail the theory of card counting, which is one of those banned techniques in casinos.
It’s still recommended reading material if you’re into math and probability theory.
11. The Latest Casino Trends Show that About 75% of Americans Have Experienced Gambling.
There are 48 states where gambling is legal in the United States, so it’s not surprising that 75% of its citizens have gambled.
While this percentage seems high, keep in mind that most people gamble just for fun once in a while.
This is especially true for areas where casinos are nearby like Las Vegas. Even so, the U.S. has issues with gambling addiction.
12. The Average Uk Gambler Is Between 55 and 64 Years Old.
Statistics show that the average UK gambler is between 55 and 64 years old.
The 2020 statistics also show that the age group that has gambled the least falls between 16- and 21-year-olds. Only 31.2% have admitted to gambling.
Further casino industry statistics and facts who that men are apt to gamble than women.
45.5% of men have gambled compared to 39.6% of women. The National Lottery is the most popular gambling activity.
13. Statistics Show that Approximately 10 Million Americans Are Gambling Addicts.
The line between gambling for fun and being obsessed with gambling is thin.
Common signs of gambling addiction include being overly defensive, compulsive money borrowing, or angry outbursts over gambling discussions.
If the addiction is severe, you may even get explanations of frequent absences from work, home, gatherings, meetings, or school. Becoming addicted to gambling can happen to anyone.
14. Casino Industry Statistics Say that 70 out Of 100 Casinos Plan to Roll out Skills-Based Games for Younger Players.
According to the trends in casino gaming, the introduction of skill-based games to attract younger players is believed to help expand the player demographic by around 46%.
Other statistics who that 67% think this strategy will solve issues in casinos where the players get bored by playing only luck-based games.
15. US Casino Industry Statistics Suggest that An Estimated 75% of Us Gambling Addicts Have Problems with Alcohol.
Since addictive behaviors can work in conjunction, and the fact that most casinos feature bars, alcohol addiction is potentially inevitable. Furthermore, 20% of gambling addicts attempt to commit suicide or commit suicide. Another 38% of gambling addicts report having drug addictions.
16. According to Current Casino Addiction Facts, only About 2-3% of Casino Addicts Self-Report.
Believe it or not, gambling addiction statistics are inaccurate because the numbers rely on self-reporting. How likely is it that someone with a gambling addiction will report it?
Just like other addictions, most gambling addicts are in denial, bringing their loved ones down alongside them.
17. 50% of Casinos Claim that The Gen X Audience Will Make up The Largest Target Demographic in The Next Five Years
It’s a known fact that the target segment of casinos is aging. Therefore, it’s not surprising that casinos update their strategies to fit the new generation of potential gamblers in the Gen X target.
Could this have a lot to do with the online gambling industry?
18. Gambling Addiction Afflicts Around 750,000 Young People Between the Ages of 14 and 21.
When we mentioned that anyone can become addicted to gambling, it was still shocking to learn from casino industry statistics that today’s youth between 14 and 21 are significantly affected.
Whether this has something to do with online casinos is something to investigate.
Which Casino Is the Largest in The World?
The biggest casino company in the world is the Las Vegas Sands casino with a revenue of $11.69 billion annually. MGM Vacation falls in second place with annual revenues of $9.2 billion.
The third and fourth place rankings fall to Chinese Galaxy Entertainment with $6.6 billion and SJM Holdings at $6.34 billion.
What Is the Most Amount Lost in A Casino?
Terrance Watanabe, the heir, and owner of the Oriental Trading Company lost $127 million playing Blackjack and Baccarat at Caesar’s Palace in 2007.
Another big loss was at a Singapore casino where a local businessman lost $75 million.
What Is the Most Money Won in A Casino?
In 2003, one lucky slots player won $39.7 million at the Excalibur Casino in Las Vegas.
What Are the Statistics on The Odds of Winning at A Casino?
On average, the odds of winning money at a casino are 37 to 1. The odds will vary according to a variety of factors like player experience, type of game, and the big factor of luck.
What Is the Average Amount Lost from Gambling in Casinos?
Slot machines average a daily loss of about $185, while table games come with an average loss of $3,737.
These numbers come solely from losses at the Las Vegas Sands, which only gives you an idea of what they are at the global level.
What Kind of Profits Do Casinos Generate?
The profit margin of casinos ranges from between 1% and 25%, depending on the games played.
For instance, a casino will make a profit of around $50,000 each time a million-dollar bet is placed at a roulette table.
Contrary to popular belief, the casino wants people to win enough to want to come back, while still profiting from their guests.
Casino Industry Statistics: Conclusion
It’s highly unlikely that casinos and gambling will ever fade away into the sunset, especially now that the rise of cryptocurrencies has given birth to things like Bitcoin casinos. The appeal, fun, adrenaline rush, risk, and glamour will probably always shine across the globe.
Maybe you can use this statistical data to level up your game the next time you partake in casino gambling. It’s also interesting information in general.
Whether you have never gambled, gamble every once in a while for fun, or regularly enjoy the thrill of gambling, we hope these casino industry statistics have helped you learn more about the casino industry and gambling.