Imagine a situation where you decide to send a message to a friend on Facebook Messenger.
However, you are greeted by the ‘this person is unavailable on Messenger’ message.
As you can guess, this message means that the concerned person is currently not available on Messenger.
You may instantly think why you are receiving such messages? There are many reasons why you are seeing the ‘this person is unavailable on Messenger’ message.
It is possible that the individual is no longer on Facebook or may have blocked you on Messenger.
Additionally, it could also mean that there is a problem with the Facebook Messenger application.
Thankfully, there are many solutions available that can help you fix this issue.
In this article, we will look into some viable fixes that can help you get rid of the ‘this person is unavailable on Messenger’ message so that you can continue with your communication.
There are various reasons why you are seeing this message on Messenger. As mentioned before, it means the person is not available on Messenger for chatting.
However, the question here is why does this error message keep repeating.
In this section, we will look into some reasons behind the same. Before reading ahead, you may have to fix some pending drama with your friends.
1. You Have Been Blocked By the User
If you cannot send a message to a person on Messenger, it means the person has blocked you from sending them messages.
The person may have various reasons as to why they have blocked your profile.
In most cases, people block one another on social media applications if they do not want to receive more messages from the recipient.
In such cases, it is always a better option to leave the user alone and simply forget about your conversation.
If it is absolutely necessary to contact them, you can simply send them an email address and ask them why they blocked your profile directly.
Here are the steps that can help you know whether the person has blocked you or not on Messenger and Facebook:
- Open your Facebook application and type in the name of the user to whom you are trying to send the message on the Search bar.
- If you are unable to find the profile of the person, you can try making use of another Facebook account to look for the profile. Alternatively, you can also ask your friend to do so if you do not want to create another Facebook account.
- If the profile shows up on the other Facebook account, it means that the person has blocked you on Messenger and Facebook.
2. You Have Blocked the Person
Now, this case is something that happens very rarely; however, it is not impossible.
You may have blocked the person to whom you are trying to send a message on Facebook and/or Messenger. To unblock the person, you can do it on both Facebook and Messenger.
However, you do not have to worry about your previous chat getting deleted while blocking or unblocking the person.
As a verified user, you will also have access to many more other features – for instance, you can simply choose to mute the user instead of blocking him/her.
Now, let us learn how you can find whether you have blocked a user on Messenger or not:
- Head over to the Facebook Messenger app and tap on the chat box where you can read the ‘this person is unavailable on Messenger’ message.
- Next, you need to tap and hold the chat bubble to view the various options. If you happen to see the Block option, then the person is not being blocked on your end.
- On the other hand, if you see the Unblock option, this means that you have blocked the person. This means that you need to tap on the Unblock option before you can send a message. Once done, you can start messaging normally.
3. The Profile of the User Has Been Deleted
If you are seeing the error message, it could also mean that the concerned person has deleted their Facebook account.
In such cases, you will not be able to send a message to the person or view his/her profile, no matter what you do.
This tends to happen at times since Facebook’s security is not great. Let us learn how you can do so:
- Open the Facebook application and search for the profile you are looking for.
- If you cannot find the person, you can use a second Facebook profile to look for the same person. Similar to the above, you can also ask your friend to do the same. If the profile is still unavailable, it means that the person has deleted or deactivated his/her Facebook profile.
- To make sure, you can try looking for the profile from many other Facebook accounts. You can ask the friends of the person to look for your profile for the final confirmation. This step is important because Facebook lets you hide your profile from public searches so that they are only visible to your pals.
At times, Facebook may take the liberty to give a timeout to a Facebook profile or may even ban it.
This mostly happens if the concerned person is not following the rules and regulations laid down for the safety of the community.
In such cases, the person will no longer be able to receive any messages or participate in any conversation.
If the person has been banned temporarily, he/she will still be on your friend list; if the ban is permanent, the Facebook profile will be removed from the site.
To check whether the person has been made temporarily unavailable, you can make use of the steps mentioned above to confirm.
Thankfully, there are many fixes that can help you solve this error. Now, let us learn how to do so:
1. Facebook Memories
The Facebook Memories feature allows you to view past interactions and posts with users who have blocked you.
Head over to the upper corner of your Facebook profile on your mobile application and scroll until you reach the Settings option.
Here, you need to keep scrolling until you see a memory with the concerned person who has blocked you on the social media app.
If you can still click on the profile photo or the name, this means that you are not blocked. If not, then the person has blocked your profile.
You can definitely try to fix this problem. If you have been blocked by the person, you can get in touch with them directly. If you both talk it out, you will be able to figure things out.
2. Unblock The Person
While you cannot send a message to a person who is blocked, you cannot send a message if you are the one who has blocked the person.
As you can see, the blocking process works both ways. If you want to send a message to a person you have blocked, you will have to unblock them first.
All you need to do is head over to your blocked list and tap on the unblock button to be able to send a message to the person.
3. Make Use Of The Facebook Lite App
The Facebook Lite app is a lighter version of Facebook that you can use if you are running low on memory space.
This app will bypass all problems that you are facing with the Messenger application. However, it does not contain other Messenger features, like video calling.
All you need to do is head over to Google Play Store and type down Facebook Lite on the search bar.
Once you find it, you simply need to download and install the application. Next, you need to log in to your account and start using the app.
However, you need to remember that this application is not available for Apple users.
4. Check Your Internet Connection
You can even try to check the status of your Internet connection. At times, a weak Internet connection prevents the Messenger application from functioning fully.
If your mobile is unable to connect to the Internet, it could happen because of data/bug prevention.
If you are sending a message to another person and the same happens on the other side, it means you have a connectivity issue.
If the messages are delivered to both parties, it means that the Messenger application has been connected to the Internet.
5. Try Using Facebook Web Version
If you keep seeing the ‘this person is unavailable on Messenger’ error on your Messenger application, the final fix that you can try is to make use of the web version of Facebook.
This is because the problem may take place in the Messenger application and can be a bug.
All you need to do is head over to the Facebook website and log in to your account. Once done, you can try sending a message to the concerned person.
In fact, this problem is quite common. Most people who are unable to send or receive messages on the Messenger application make use of the web version for messaging.
You can do the same. If you want to remove the bug from the Messenger app, you can clear the data and the cache and try logging in to your account.
With the help of the tips mentioned above, you should be able to bypass this error message and start sending messages on Facebook Messenger with no problems.
Here are some common FAQs related to this topic:
How Do You Know That Someone Has Blocked You On Facebook?
As we have discussed, there are many methods that you can use to view whether you have been blocked by a person or not.
For instance, you can make use of the Memories feature.
Alternatively, you can also look for the person by typing their name on the Search bar.
If you are unable to find them, you have likely been blocked.