Configuring your proxies from the system settings is quite a cumbersome task. If you want to learn how to set up a proxy on Firefox and Chrome via SwitchyOmega, you can learn more about it in this article.
If you have the habit of setting up proxies for your browser and have done it quite a few times, you will understand that the process is fairly easy.
However, the difficulty starts to arise when you have to do this task frequently or make use of specific proxies for particular domains, setting the proxies up becomes time-consuming and eventually boring.
Therefore, experts recommend that you make use of proxy switchers, which makes it easy to set up proxies just once and keep switching it with a click, without having to engage with the proxy settings of your system.
What is SwitchyOmega?
A browser extension, SwitchyOmega was created to help you switch between proxies for your browser without having to go through the unwanted hassle of editing the proxy settings.
Once you have installed this extension to your browser, you can keep changing the proxy via the user interface.
Additionally, you should also know that the proxy settings of SwitchyOmega will not affect the proxy settings of your system in any way. SwitchyOmega is an open-source and free tool that is quite reliable and a great choice for daily use.
SwitchyOmega provides support for both Firefox and Chrome browsers. This tool is quite powerful and helps you easily switch and manage proxies based on specific rules.
In fact, it is widely seen as a replacement for various proxy management tools like Proxy Switchy, SwitchyPlusSwitchySharp, and FoxyProxy.
These proxy management tools have not been maintained; hence, if you plan on using them, it is advised that you make use of SwitchyOmega instead. Once you have installed SwitchyOmega, all the proxy settings and profiles will be imported to SwitchyOmega.
You can also bind particular proxies to specific websites. From the SwitchyOmegamenu, you can set the system proxy settings.
Overall, SwitchyOmega is considered the best choice when it comes to proxy management tools for switching proxies.
How to Use Switchy Omega?
As mentioned above, SwitchyOmega has been designed to make the process of switching between and managing proxies faster and easier.
Therefore, the tool is quite easy to understand and use. Let us look into how to set SwitchyOmega on two of the most used browsers today.
SwitchyOmega for Chrome
It is understandable that Google Chrome is the most popular browser today. In fact, this browser is used by almost half the entire world’s population.
Chrome has a user base of more than a million users, which is the reason why it is so popular around the world.
Here are the steps of learning how to configure the proxies with the help of SwitchyOmega for your Google Chrome browser:
- You first need to head over to Google Chrome’s web store and type in SwitchyOmega in the search box. You can also click here to directly land on the SwitchyOmega result page.
- Once you have downloaded the extension, it will be installed to your Google Chrome automatically. You should see a thick O-shaped blue-colored icon added to the list of plugins for Chrome. Once you find the icon, you simply need to tap on it, which will open a pop-up.
- Here, look for the Options button and tap on it; here, you will have to confirm the proxies.
- Similar to the image above, you should see a profile labeled as ‘Proxy’. Here, you need to type in your proxy details. To enter your username and your password in this interface, you need to tap on the padlock icon next to the port. A new interface will open up where you need to add the authentication details.
- You have to tap on the New Profile icon to add a new profile. When done, it will open a new pop-up, something like this.
- Here, you need to provide a name for your profile click on the Create button to choose the proxy profile. You will see the same interface for your profile:proxy. Here, you need to type in the required information.
- You can click on Auto Switch to automatically switch the proxies based on the domain. You should see an interface like this.
- The interface is quite easy to understand and decipher. Here, you need to choose the proxy profile, enter the domain wildcard, and select the type of condition. Once you have made the necessary changes, you need to tap on ‘Apply Changes’.
- All you need to do is click on the SwitchyOmega icon on your browser to use any of the profiles. All the added proxies will be available. All you need to do is choose the appropriate one and you should be good to go.
SwitchyOmega for Firefox
Apart from Google Chrome, another majority of users from around the world make use of Mozilla Firefox. It is the second-most used browser today.
Thankfully, the method of configuring SwitchyOmega for Firefox is the same as the above. All you need to do is follow these aforementioned steps. Tap here if you want to download SwitchyOmega for your Firefox browser.
Overall, SwitchyOmega is considered one of the best proxy switchers for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Of course, setting up the proxy switcher may be a tad difficult, especially if you are not a tech-whiz.
However, with the help of the steps mentioned above, you will learn how you can install it on your browser and use it effectively.
SwitchyOmega is one of the better proxy managers you can find. Therefore, you can easily go ahead and try it out. You should remember that it does not provide proxies.
In such cases, you need to make use of the most reliable proxies for uninterrupted and smooth browsing or web scraping experience.
Therefore, you can easily make use of SwitchyOmega along with various data-center proxies so as to avoid various types of issues with your browsers.