Most Facebook users like to see exactly what they want to see on the platform, which is one reason to learn how to mute someone on Facebook.
When you know how to mute someone, your feed gets a lot easier to read and shows you less of what you don’t want to see.
Muting is something you can do that the user won’t even notice. After all, you’re on Facebook to enjoy a pleasant and peaceful experience, which not everyone wants to provide.
Due to the anonymity provided by Facebook, there are some users who just can’t seem to control themselves, which makes for a less pleasurable experience.
So, instead of just taking it, you can mute the profiles of Facebook users who you prefer not to engage with, yet you also don’t want to unfriend them and close the door on them completely.
Therefore, you don’t have to unfriend or block profiles when you can just mute them for 30 days. This feature is a newer one on Facebook, so you may not be aware of it, or how to find it.
How to Mute Someone on Facebook in 2024
The mute feature on Facebook isn’t just for muting chats, but also profiles.
It’s the ideal solution for avoiding those political and other annoying posts from friends and family without creating bigger problems by unfriending and blocking.
These things seem to seep into family reunion gossip at gatherings.
1. Find the post in your News Feed.
2. Find the 3 dots on the top right menu of the post.
3. Select “Snooze for 30 Days” or “Unfollow” from the dropdown menu.
Snoozing for 30 days is how you mute a person through a post. You won’t see any posts from the Facebook user for 30 days.
If you select the “unfollow” feature, you will not see their posts at all until you return and change that option to “follow”.
Either way, no notifications are sent when someone mutes or unfollows your profile or posts. Therefore, you avoid any family or group drama from these options.
It’s just as easy to remove the mute or follow again when you’re ready. Also, if you accidentally mute or unfollow someone, just go to their profile and reverse it.
You can also do this same thing for Facebook Groups or “Suggested for You” posts in your News Feed that come from people or groups.
1. On your mobile device or computer, find the three little dots at the top right of the post.
2. You will see several choices in the drop-down or popup.
- Save post
- Hide post
- Snooze (name of group or person) for 30 days
- Hide all from (name of group or person)
- Add photos/videos to this album
- View edit history
- Turn on notifications for this post
- Personalize your feed
If you just want to snooze the poster for 30 days, choose that option. If you want to not see anymore posts from this group or person, choose hide post.
On the other hand, if you want to get notifications for a post, choose that option.
3. Once you have made your selection, you will either not see anymore posts from the original poster, or you will not see them for 30 days.
If you’re on the post of a person, you will see these options.
- Save post
- Add (person’s name) to Favorite
- Hide post
- Snooze (original posters and sharers) for 30 days
- Hide all (original posters and sharers)
- Snooze (one person – poster/sharer) for 30 days
- Unfollow (person’s name)
You will simply make your selection as you would for a group post for the expected results.
Facebook offers plenty of options to personalize your Facebook News Feed experience.
How to Mute Someone on Facebook Chat
Now that you know how to mute someone on your News Feed, we will show you how to mute someone on Facebook Messenger.
Have you ever been in a Messenger group where the members are on day and night blowing up your phone with messages?
If you want to take a break from messenger groups, you can simply mute it for various times.
Here are the steps for muting a group or person on Facebook Messenger.
On your laptop/computer:
1. Click on the down arrow next to the members of the group.
2. Scroll down the menu to “Mute Notifications”.
3. Click “Mute Notifications” and select what you want to mute (messages, calls, or both). Click Nest.
4. Click Next.
5. Choose the length of time you want to mute the messages and/or calls in Messenger (15 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours, or Until I turn it back on.
On your phone or tablet:
1. Tap on the names of the Messenger members.
2. Locate the “mute” bell icon and tap it.
3. Tap mute message, call, or both notifications.
4. Choose the length of time you want to mute the messages and/or calls in Messenger (15 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours, or Until I turn it back on.
Essentially, it’s similar regardless of the device you’re using.
There are many reasons to mute or unfollow a person on Facebook to avoid seeing their content.
Not all reasons are nefarious or rude.
Sometimes, you just need a break from some of the drama to enjoy Facebook.
Regardless of why you want to mute someone, or a group on Facebook, it’s a pretty easy process when you know where to look, and how it works.
Now that you have read this guide for muting on Facebook, you know how to snooze for 30 days, unfollow, or hide people, posts, or groups as needed.
We also covered muting notifications on Messenger to prevent constant messenger bleeps on your phone or device.
Sometimes, it’s so you can sleep. Sometimes, it’s to get some peace while you work.
If you work from home, muting and snoozing are perfect ways to keep those notifications from constantly alerting you.
Now that you know how to mute someone on Facebook, do you think you’ll try the tool?