Looping a video is when you repeat a video clip so that it plays on a repeating, continuous loop. This effect is particularly popular across social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok.
There are several ways to loop a video on an iPhone: through the iPhone’s Live Photos function, through Instagram, or through the use of an online video looper tool. This article will explain each of these methods so that you can decide which suits you best.
The iPhone’s Live Photos Function
While it would be a handy feature, the native iOS Photos app does not allow you to loop video. Sadly, its editing options are fairly limited, and a looping option is not included. However, there is still a way to get around this to create looping videos using the iPhone Camera app.
The Camera app has a Live Photos function that records your photograph before you’ve even pressed the button to take it. These recordings can be edited so that the footage loops. Not only do these looped videos play in the Photos app, but they can also be shared across virtually any platform.
How to Use the Live Photos Function
The Live Photos feature on the iPhone continually records frames one and a half seconds before and after the photograph is taken. You can then modify the Live Photo, and with it can create a looping video clip. There are several steps to this process, but it is relatively easy to do:
- Firstly, make sure you have Live Photos enabled. In the Camera app, tap the “Live Photos” button in the top right corner.
- Then, find the Live Photo you want to turn into a looping video. Navigate to the Photos app on your iPhone. Click on Albums, Media Types, then finally Live Photos. You should be able to see all the Live Photos you’ve taken with your iPhone.
- Once you have the Live Photo up, select the “Live” label in the top left corner of your photograph. This will bring up a number of video editing options. By selecting “Bounce,” you can create a fun looping effect with your picture.
- Finally, tap the Share button in the bottom left corner of your screen. Here, you can save the looping clip to your phone or share it with another app.
Instagram’s Boomerang Feature
The release of Instagram’s Boomerang feature is what made video loops so viral, to begin with. This feature remains a popular way to create video loops from your iPhone. There are two ways to use the Boomerang feature to create loops. This section explains them both.
How to Use Instagram’s Boomerang Feature
Method One: Capturing Looping Videos on Instagram
This method is no more complicated than capturing a regular video with the Instagram Story feature:
- Firstly, open Instagram. Select the + symbol and select “Story” from the drop-down menu.
- From the options at the side of your screen, select the Boomerang option and shoot your video. The length of video you can capture is quite short, so make sure that you time it well and that it packs a punch!
- Make any final tweaks you’d like, then share or save to your smartphone.
Method Two: Tweaking Live Photos on Instagram
Instagram also lets you turn Live Photos into Boomerang stories. This is how:
- As before, navigate to Instagram’s Story function. This time swipe up and select your desired Live Photo.
- Your chosen photograph will then load onto your screen. Press and hold, and you should find that the picture will start looping on its own, with the message “Boomerang” appearing briefly on the screen.
- By tapping the Boomerang icon at the top of your screen, you can choose between three options for your clip: Slowmo, Duo, and Echo. As with any Instagram story post, you can also add filters to give your video that extra bit of panache. Add your desired effects, then simply press “Done.”
- Finally, you can share your video or simply save it to your device!
Online Web Apps
You can also use web apps to create looping videos. Such apps are useful because you can easily work with them on the go, even from your smartphone. Since the website itself processes your video, you do not need a device with high processing power. Practically anyone with internet access and a working computer or smartphone can use these online tools.
There is an added benefit to using online web apps on your smartphone. You can loop videos on the iPhone using the Live Photos function, yes, but this means you cannot loop just any video on your device. Likewise, Instagram limits the length of your clip, so you cannot loop any video you like. Using online tools usually means that you have a greater degree of flexibility, as you can edit just about any video you want.
There are various methods you can employ if you want to loop a video on an iPhone. This article has highlighted just a few: the Live Photos function, Instagram’s Boomerang feature, and using online web apps. Each option has its pros and cons, so it’s worth experimenting with all of them to find out which suits you best. Try them out for yourself, and have fun!