If you would like to know how you can configure a proxy service on your Android mobile device, then this is the right place for you.
In this article, you will learn how you can set a proxy service on your Android smartphone with the help of three different methods.
Most people think that proxies can only be used on computers. However, now, when more and more people are using the internet on their mobile devices, a proxy server can also be used on smartphones.
Internet traffic on mobile devices has risen from 16.2% in 2013 to 52% in 2018 and this percentage is escalating on a regular basis.
Since mobile traffic is increasing so rapidly, it’s high time that you know how you can use a proxy service on your smartphone.
This blog post talks about how you can do so on your Android phone. You can configure your Android phone for a proxy service in different ways.
Here, you can learn about the three main ways you can do so, which include:
- Setting up proxies for phone data
- Setting up proxies for Wi-Fi
- Utilizing proxy setting applications
Let us now learn more about these three methods below.
How to Configure Android to Use Proxy for Mobile Data
A lot of people do not know that they can configure their Android smartphone to use a proxy service by default.
These devices have their own internet settings. You can use the steps mentioned below to set up your Android mobile device so that it can access the web via a proxy service when you are using your phone data. This method only applies to mobile data and not to Wi-Fi systems.
- First, you need to press the option of ‘Settings’ on an Android smartphone.
- Then, you have to hit the tab of ‘Network & Internet.’
- As per the version of Android you are using, you would be able to see a few options on your screen, such as ‘Mobile network,’ ‘Wi-Fi,’ ‘Data usage,’ etc. From these options, you have to press the option of ‘Mobile Network.’
- Now, you have to click on the option of ‘Advanced’ and then on ‘APN’ or ‘Access Point Names’ as per your phone version.
- Then, you will see all APNs. You have to tap on the APN you are using right now.
- You can now see different configuration options, including username, password, port, and proxy.
- Now, you have to enter the details of your proxy in these areas.
- In case you want to employ IP Authentication, then you don’t have to type your password and username. You just have to whitelist the IP address of your Android mobile device from the dashboard of your proxy seller.
- After you type these details, you have to save the changes and then restart your phone data.
- Now, all the web traffic on your Android mobile device will pass through your configured proxy.
How to Configure Proxies for Android When Using Wi-Fi
When you follow the above-mentioned steps to use a proxy service on your Android device, you can do so only for your specific APN and phone data.
A lot of Wi-Fi connections in offices and schools control the websites that you access using these networks.
Therefore, you might prefer using a proxy server to avoid such a situation. You can follow these steps to set up your Android phone for using proxies while using Wi-Fi.
- First, you have to go to the ‘Settings’ button on your Android mobile device and then to ‘Network & Internet.’
- After this, you will see a lot of options. Amongst these, you have to press the ‘Wi-Fi’ option.
- Now, you will be able to see a list of Wi-Fi networks.
- You have to press and hold your connected Wi-Fi to reveal a popup on your screen. From there, you have to choose the ‘Modify network’ tab.
- Then, you have to press ‘Advanced options’ and then ‘Manual.’
- After this, you have to type some proxy information, such as your username, password, hostname, and port.
- Once you finish filling in these details, you must press the option of ‘SAVE.’
Using Proxy Setting Apps on Android
The two above-mentioned steps are default methods that allow you to set a proxy server on your Android phone.
However, some people might not want to use these methods or they might have a different Android version than the one explained here.
So, if you are one of these people who find these steps hard, you can just download applications for proxy settings, like ProxyDroid.
However, before you use such applications, you have to root your Android smartphone, which many people are not willing to do.
This is not a very common method for using a proxy on an Android device. In this method, you can use proxies with applications.
The setting for such a proxy is done within the application and it works inside the app without impacting your other apps.
How to Confirm IP Address
After setting up a proxy service on an Android phone, you must verify that it works. You can do so by following these steps:
- First, you must visit the website of ‘What Is My IP Address’ in order to find out your actual IP address prior to setting up a proxy server.
- After this, you have to configure the proxy service with the help of one of the above-mentioned methods.
- Now, you have to visit the ‘What Is My IP Address’ website again and see the IP number. If it is the same as the IP address of your proxy, then it is successful.
- Otherwise, either your web browser is rejecting the proxy service or the configuration wasn’t successful.
A Word About Proxy Settings on Android
Android employs strict security measures. Owing to this, a few applications may not function with your installed proxies.
And, if an application refuses to accept your proxy server settings, then you cannot do anything about it, apart from rooting your mobile device and using a similar application once more.
This is quite risky and you should only do it if you are knowledgeable about it. It is recommended to use a VPN with an Android customer. In fact, a VPN service is better than a proxy.
You can use a proxy service on your Android device using any of the techniques mentioned above.
These methods allow you to configure the proxy settings on your Android smartphone so that you can disguise your IP number and avoid online surveillance.