This article is going to cover how to change your name on SoundCloud.
If you love music, then you need to be on SoundCloud.
The popular music platform is home to millions of users who share music with one another, connect with fellow musicians and fans, come up with their own playlists, and even get recognized by labels and bands.
The best part is that it’s free to use, and there are a number of well-known artists out there, including Post Malone, who used SoundCloud to first gain a following. Of course, just like any other platform out there these days that you can share content on, SoundCloud has its fair share of competition.
This means that getting recognition for your music on a platform like this doesn’t come without its challenges.
One of the best ways for a label to find you, or to develop a solid following around your music is to come up with a really good name.
If you have an accurate username that relates directly to your genre, you will be able to remain recognizable, and grow your following.
What Happens When You Change Your Name on SoundCloud?
Changing your name on SoundCloud affects the discoverability of your profile.
When you change your name, your fans and followers will be able to search and identify your profile within SoundCloud with that name. People who search the name you have changed your SoundCloud profile to will immediately land on your tracks.
However, if someone tries to look for you through Google, your new name might not immediately register with the search engine.
This is totally dependent on Google’s systems.
Usually, this is sorted after a couple of days, and people will then be able to find your SoundCloud profile through a Google search.
Any changes that you’ve made to your username or display name apply to all of your existing and future songs. This means that if someone adds one of your songs to their playlist, your new name will appear on that playlist regardless of when you created the song.
When your name is changed on SoundCloud, this affects any embedded players and links you might have posted to your profile.
This means that while embedded players might still play tracks after you’ve changed your profile name, if the listener were to click through to that SoundCloud page, an empty page will come up.
Unfortunately, SoundCloud doesn’t offer redirect services when you change your profile URL.
How to Change Your Name on SoundCloud
To change your name on SoundCloud, all you have to do is follow the six easy steps below to do everything from your desktop:
- Sign in to your SoundCloud account.
- Select your username on the navigation menu which you will find at the top of the page.
- Choose the ‘profile’ button from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘edit’ that you’ll see right below your profile picture.
- Here, you have the option of changing both your SoundCloud username as well as the first and last names that are associated with your account. The best part is that you can get as creative as you want and even include spaces and capital letters.
- Lastly, click ‘save changes’ to complete the process.
Change Your Name on the SoundCloud App
You can also change your SoundCloud name through the mobile app for iOS and Android. If you want to do this, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your SoundCloud profile on your mobile.
- Click the ‘library’ button that you will see in the top right-hand corner.
- Through this, you will be directed to your profile, and choose the ‘overview’ section.
- Navigate to the right of the page and click ‘edit’.
- When you are on the editing page, make sure that your device is horizontal so that you can see all details of your account.
- Here, you can change your SoundCloud username, as well as the first and last names of your account.
- Make sure to select ‘save changes’ to keep your new name.
To change the name included in your permanent URL for SoundCloud, select the ‘edit’ button, that you’ll find next to the pencil icon on the profile settings page. Here you can include your new permalink which will include your changed username.
SoundCloud is not only a great music platform, but it is Spotify’s biggest rival. This is why you need to use all of its features to your advantage, including having an accurate display name so that you can let more people discover you. This will make you immediately visible to the right target audience, and also make it easier for labels and bands to find you.
The good news is that SoundCloud has policies which means that your name can remain unique, and nobody can copy it. If you want to be taken seriously as a musician out there, make the most of your unique SoundCloud name, so that you can start to create a brand image around your music.