Job Title: Software Developer
2007 average salary range: $60,250 – $94,750.
- The 2007 salary range is an increase of 5.1% over this job’s 2006 salary range, which was $57,250 – $90,250.
- The 2006 salary range was an increase of 3.0% over this job’s 2005 salary range, which was $55,000 – $88,250.
Add 5% for C++ development skills, 7% for Java development skills, 7% for XML/Web services development skills, 5% for Active Server Page development skills, 5% for Visual Basic development skills, 10% for DCOM/COM/ActiveX development skills, 10% for C++ development skills, and 10% for Visual Basic .NET development skills.
Note: Since these numbers are national averages, adjust them based on your area of the country.
Salary levels are – approximately – 7% to 20% higher in the Northeast; about average in the South Atlantic (Florida to Delaware); average to modestly lower in the Midwest and South; and 5% to 25% higher on the West coast.
IT salaries in large metropolitan areas are higher than the national average. For example, in following cities they are:
- Boston, MA: 24% higher
- Stamford, CT: 21% higher
- New York, NY: 50% higher
- Washington, DC: 26% higher
- Philadelphia, PA: 15% higher
- Atlanta, GA: 12% higher
- Miami, FL: 14% higher
- Chicago, IL: 23% higher
- Dallas/Houston, TX: 6% higher
- Irvine, CA: 25% higher
- Los Angeles, CA: 25% higher
- San Diego, CA: 15% higher
- San Francisco, CA: 30% higher
- San Jose, CA: 26% higher
- Seattle, WA: 15% higher
Also see: Top Five Fastest Growing IT Jobs
GO BACK TO JOB LIST
Salary data courtesy of Robert Half Technology. To request a copy of the complete Robert Half Salary Guide, which includes salary ranges for more than 60 different job titles, in the U.S. and Canada, click here.